Is it dangerous to carry a stillborn baby?

We spent the 4th of July night in the er. My cousin was bleeding and she thought she was misscarrying. But she had an exam her cervix is still closed, bloodowork came back and the baby should be about 11 weeks, but the ultrasound only said about 8 weeks. The really sad part is that they couldn't find a heartbeat. Im not sure if the er jus messed up cause it is such a lil baby, or what. But Im sad this was supposed to be my god child, and Im worried that she is going to catch an infection or something...

hayleighsmommy1

Asked by hayleighsmommy1 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• As long as her cervix is closed tight and she's otherwise healthy, she will probably not get an infection by waiting a week or two to see if her regular doctor can confirm a heartbeat. Most women whose babies die during the first trimester will spontaneously deliver without any intervention. Some doctors like to do a D&C to make sure that the . . . forgive me there's no delicate way to say this . . . . remains left in the uterus. The main source of potential infection is anything that's left in a woman's uterus after she has a baby or miscarriage.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• hmm...i'm not really sure. i do know someone that refused to believe her baby was stillborn, so she remained pregnant until she gave birth. i'm not sure how that went though. i'd say have the doctors check again just to be sure, do an ultra sound, just in case.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• A heartbeat doesn't show up until 10 weeks. Relax, the baby could be fine. She should try to remain clam, until she finds out more.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 12:39 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• This would be a miscarriage, not a stillborn.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My dr. Showed me my babies heartbeat at 8wks. But i agree with pp. Get a second ultrasound.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 12:47 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Yeah, they have to make absolutey sure and I don't think there is a major threat to her health if she carries the baby (if it has died) for another week. I'm sorry this happened to your family.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Anon, that was uncalled for and a horrible vision to tell somebody who's family member is going through a loss.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• It happens all the time! there is nothing wrong with it! its actually a part of life! ive had family go through this too! it doesnt just happen in people think of all our furry friends!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I'm so sorry for your (and your family's) loss. I couldn't imagine. as for your question, I have heard a story of a woman who had surgery for like a historectomy *sp* or to get her tubes tied or something. they found a fetus in her that was like 10 years old. it hadn't affected her, didn't even know she had ever been pregnant. I don't think waiting a little while would hurt but you may advise her to talk with her obgyn about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• She should be fine until she sees her OB to make sure. My co-workers daughter was told at 6 weeks (the absolute earliest a heatbeat can be heard) that the fetus had no heart beat by an ER tech. After just losing her 3 year old to cancer, she was devastated and wanted to wait to deal with it all. But after making a second appointment 2 weeks later to remove the fetus, a different tech found a strong heartbeat. The baby is now 20 months old.
    ER workers often don't specialize in dealing with pregnancy, always make an appointment with an OB to confirm anything the ER staff tells you.
    Marilynz_Mommy

Answer by Marilynz_Mommy at 2:21 AM on Jul. 6, 2009