5 wk old eating too much?

I feel silly asking this because I know every baby is different and I don't expect anyone else to have my answers, but I thought I would ask. Last week my 5 wk old went thru a growth spurt - he jumped to 4 ounces at almost every feeding - but he grew 1.5 inches and gained 1 lb, so I wasn't surprised. Now - not even a week later - he still fusses after 4 ounces. I try to placate him with a bink to see if he is really hungry or just looking to comfort nurse, but a few times I have made an extra 2 ounces, and he will eat one and fall asleep. Does that seem like a lot for a 5 week old to be eating? I don't want to deprive him, but I also don't want a fat baby that I have to put on a diet in a year!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was 4 weeks old and eating 6 ounces..he is 3 now and he weighs 32lbs.
    My daughter was 6 weeks and started 6 ounces...she is 19 months now and weights 26lbs.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:49 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• The amount you're giving him is just fine. My three month old went through a growth spurt at 3 weeks and started eating 4oz from 2oz then at his 6 week growth spurt he ate 5 or even 6oz and now at almost three months he eats 4 or 5oz but I think he's having a growth spurt because he's been eating 6-8oz for the past three days. You won't have to put him on a diet in a year. As soon as he starts getting more active and doing things like crawling, walking and running, etc the weight will even out.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 12:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• If you baby is eating, feed him. Don't worry about a fat baby...that's silly. How many times does a babay have to double his weight before the age of 2? Think about it. Babies tend to eat a lot and get a little chubby right before they grow again. Let him have food if he is still eating. When he is full, he will stop and push it away

Feed the baby..
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 1:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• People should not even consider putting a child on a diet before talking to the child's doctor.
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 1:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• There is no such thing, well unless he starts spitting up afterwards. You cannot overfeed a 5 week old any more than you can "spoil" them by holding them. A baby cries for a reason, if he is still hungry, feed him.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 1:09 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I agree with Petie
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Thanks everyone for your responses. Feed him is pretty much what I thought, just wanted some reassurance. And LeftBrainy, I was just kidding about the diet....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My son always ate more than everyone said he should.. he's 3 now, and has be tall and underwieght his whole life. right now, if he's hungry feed him, soon he'll be running too much to have time to eat, and 6oz isnt that much, he may be ready to eat more less often
    edenmoseley

Answer by edenmoseley at 3:23 AM on Jul. 6, 2009