catholicism? to go? not to go? what to expect

i was looking for..something.
and i felt like i should attend the catholic servies on post tomorrow..i say onp ost cause i like on a military post. but ive never entered a catholic church...i dont know anything about it...and honestly i wonder how they would view me since im this tatted up pierced girl who has never walked into their doors before. what should i expect? what would dress attire be? should i bring a bible? they have mass listed at 3 times tomorrow. i dont know why i want to attend this..their are tons of protestant servies tomorrow and bible studies on post (the army is good about giving ppl options spiritually) im just hesitant cause ..i have no idea what im walking into here. im not saying i want to be catholic, but something tells me i should go to this

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• they are not going to care, do you care to say what post? Leavenworth maybe? If so I will go with you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• no fort gordon.

i guess cause i dont what im walking ot....what is a catholic mass like?
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:52 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Then go, just dress nicely, you don't need to bring a bible.

You should not take communion because it is a holy sacrament in the eyes of the catholic church, so those who are not catholic should not take it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Also there is a lot of moving around, standing, kneeling, sitting, don't feel you need to do anything you don't know about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• It varies by church. At the church I attend, many people go in jeans and a nice shirt, I was raised to always wear something dressy to church, so I do. As to how they will view you it also varies by church. At some they are more open minded and have open arms to anyone who wants to attend Mass. Other churches are more close minded and would prefer tats be covered. No, you don't have to take a Bible with you. There are books in the pews that readings come from. Open it to the page with the date on the top, and that is where reading will come from. Seeing as you are not Catholic, you don't have to stand when asked to stand or kneel when asked to kneel. Although it is awkward to be the only one sitting. LOL
    Anonymous

• as for dress, dress nicely, maybe a skirt or some slacks. what to expect it really depends on what type of catholic service it is, some are more traditional some are more laid back. don't worry what anyone thinks of you, the people, if any, who look down on you b/c of how you look, need to worry more about working on themselves and how to be more accepting. if you feel the need to go, go see if its something you like and go from there.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• i know it says for communion, you should be in s state of grace..and im in s state of confusion lol.
    so do i just pass it on or how do i not take it and be respectful about it? i dont want people to think im being an anarchist or something lol. what is the right way to not take that?
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• OK my experience is the weekday mass are mostly the older population. I have gone to weekday mass and finished in 15 minutes. (I don't like that) wow I am not sure what more to say LOL

dress code is causal. I would go with jeans/capris and a t-shit or regular shirt. Nobody is going to care that you are tattooed or pierced. At least I hope not because that is not right. It is also my experience that just about every Catholic church is different LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• i was raised catholic. in general we're taught not to judge by what a person looks like, but what is in their heart. (bikers are all tatted up and look rough but they can have the biggest hearts out there...look at all the toy drives they do for kiddos!). if you haven't took the right classes for communion (eucharist) you're not supposed to recieve it, but you can cross you arms (hands on opposite shoulders) across your chest and recieve a blessing from the priest (commonly known as Father, offically known as Reverand). most don't bring a bible, but you're more than welcome too. i've always felt comfortable wearing jeans to church, again it's what's on the inside more so than the out.
    i just payed attention to what you'd wrote and you said there's three masses tommorrow. most churches have a week day mass, but it's usually only one, and it's a short version of the weekend mass.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 12:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Catholics stand and walk to the front for communion. Just step out of the pew for the others to go past and then move back into the pew.
    Anonymous