Religion vs Religion

I got to reading the gals post about going to a Catholic church and I figured I would see your opinions on my situation. My husband is Catholic and I am Baptist. He has mentioned more than once how he wants to have DD baptised in a Catholic church. We have not been to church since we have moved to the base we are stationed at, although DH mentions going sometimes. I don't care to go to a Catholic church at all. I'm not against it or anything, don't get me wrong, I HAVE been to mass as my dad converted to Catholisism before he and my step-mom married, but I told him I wasn't sure about the baptism idea. I told him I think we should wait until she is old enough to choose for herself(she is 3 months old now), but I feel bad. What do I tell DH? Should we get her baptised and she can still choosed later or just wait? Thanks for your opinions!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know you're used to the concept of Credobaptism as a Baptist but let me explain paedobaptism. Being Baptised/Christened as an infant does not mean you are forcing your child into the Christian faith. Paedobaptism serves as an invocation of the Holy Spirit to dwell with the child so that they may be lead on the right path to choose Christianity for themselves one day. It is a promise you'll fulfill your child's spiritual needs and that the church will help you.

I am Protestant, I do not believe that Baptism saves anyone's soul, so although I believe in paedo baptism, it honestly doesn't matter to me when someone is or isn't Baptized. You can be saved and not be Baptized; it is just symbolism. Luckily for me, my husband is Christian Agnostic and couldn't care less what we do. If it was something that would cause him great distress, seeing as I am flexible on the issue, I'd go with what he wanted.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:25 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Personally, I dont see the harm, but that a decision you two have to make together. Maybe you can compromise.....she gets baptized catholic, but when she's older, she gets to choose. However, you need to decide for the future too since Catholicism also does Holy Communion and Confirmation, not that she HAS to do those. It's just more "rights of passage" the Catholic church does.

I was raised a Catholic and did it all. My DH is Baptist and I love the church his parents go. Much less stuffy. We agree our DD could choose when she's old enough to make that decision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• their is something called a devotional that you do which is not a full baptism but sorta presents the child to god..................

and do a baptism later on if she decides it
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:52 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My family wants my kids baptist cristian my dh family wants them catholic. My husband is a atheist and I believe the bible and god, but not in organized religion. We both agree there is to much war in the name of religion. So given all the diverences we have decided the when our children are old enough we will incourage them to look into religions and the they can what they wish to be. We will not push our believes on them and our family will not be tolerated to do so either. I don't know if this but I do believe it is an indivisual choice on religion. Good luck and don't fight to much over the subject.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• This is something that you really ought to discuss with DH and be sensitive to his feelings. Almost all of my friends are Catholic and it is imperative to them that their children be Christened ASAP as it washes away original sin and is a mode of salvation for a child cannot otherwise choose for themselves. If DH believes in this strongly and is going to stress about the state of your child's soul, I would honestly just do the Christening.

(cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:24 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• If neither you nor your husband are actually following the teachings of the Catholic Church, then there's a small problem with baptizing your child in the Catholic Church because when you do so, you, as parents, are PROMISING before God and his Church to raise your child in the Catholic faith. If you cannot uphold that promise, then you should not baptize your daughter in the Catholic Church. With that said, please don't leave her faith up to her to choose if neither you nor your husband can choose likewise - she'll be spiritually stranded without a clear path to follow and guidance to help her as she grows. You and your DH need to choose, for her sake, a spiritual path to follow and guide her in. She can only follow you as her example, and if you can't decide, why would you expect her to be able to?
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• i think this is something the two of you have to discuss and agree on. If it means so much to him to do this, then you can but also let her decide later on in life what religious choice she wants to make if she wants to be baptized into something else, but what are the motives behind him wanting it done as well? is it to show family yes, we are still catholic? or is it going to be something special for the both of you? ask him why? and other questions to fully decide on what you both want to do... you may have to both compromise too... so decide what is best for the two of you....But talk it out. dont yell. get both sides of it all, and decide with an open mind and heart. it is a special thing to be baptised whether now or later. just decide together. ....
    ministrymom

Answer by ministrymom at 11:49 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• THERE IS NO HARM IN BAPTISING A BABY IN ANY ONE RELIGION, SHE/HE CAN STILL CHOOSE WHEN THEY GET OLDER. MY SON WAS BAPTIZED CATHOLIC, DID HIS FIRST COMUNION AND AT THE AGE OF 16 FOUND JESUS IN A DIFFERENT RELIGION AND GOT HIMSELF BATIZED AGAIN, NO HARM DONE!

Answer by older at 12:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2009