do i baby my daughter to much?

so everytime i go to my friends house her husband always critisizes my parenting. he always says i pick up my daughter to much and shouldnt pick her up when she cries.(shes 13 months) he always gets mad when i give her a pacifier, which she only takes to go to bed. basically he makes it sound like i shouldnt even hold my daughter and just let her cry when she is upset or something. i dont think so. i think she is just fine and ive seen the way her parents and he mostly yells and when his youngest son was little then didnt hold him that much and usually propped up his bottle to feed him. what do you ladies think? or what is something i could say next time he says something to him?

lmaines22

Asked by lmaines22 at 1:27 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Its your daughter. He has no right to tell you how to parent your child. Tell him so.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:27 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• say: you seem to be the only one who cares, isnt that funny, every one else thinks im doing a fine job
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Babies are meant to be babied. That's it. I only have an open ear to parenting advice if it's in the best interest of the child. There's no logic in saying not to carry your kid or to just let them cry. Therefore, I don't listen to it. But you really should try weaning from the paci. It's bad for oral development.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:33 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Why does he get an opinion on this? It is your child not his.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:38 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Oh, and there is no such thing as babying too much. As long as you are balancing it with rules and discipline. Our babies need babying.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:39 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• i think you have already answered your own question. just ignore him or tell him its not his beezwax.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 1:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I feel so bad for his child... you are doing the right thing, I would stay away from this guy and tell him stay out of it.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:01 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• also there is nothing wrong w/ the use of a paci at this age
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• This man sounds like he wants to get rise out of you. For what reason? I couldn't say. But don't give him an edge. When he gives you his "advice", just smile sweetly and say, "Thank you." That's it! Then turn right back to your daughter, nuzzle her, kiss her sweet cheeks and hum a little song. Maybe he will eventually see that he can't bully you and leave you alone. If not, at least you are holding your precious girl and nothing else matters.
    SewingVeronica

Answer by SewingVeronica at 4:25 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• you are doing fine! tell him to mind his own kid(s) and business. is he your baby's father? no? end of story. you are doing what works for you, he did what worked for him (and probably very poorly). if you want to be polite, just tell him if you need advice, you will ask. then thank him for his concern (and less polite-tell him it's none of his concern). there is absolutely nothing wrong with holding your child, and responding to and comforting her. i don't understand why some people believe baby's should be so independent?!? some to the point of leaving baby to care for him/herself-i.e., bottle propping??? is it really that hard to hold and feed a baby at the same time?! poor things, i'm sorry but the thought of bottle propping really gets under my skin. anyway, you are doing fine :) don't listen to him. more importantly, don't second-guess yourself!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 4:42 AM on Jul. 6, 2009