My son is four months and still HATES tummy time.

He always has. I'll leave him on the floor and he'll play up to ten minutes but after that he starts screaming. I'll lay things down on the floor for him to play with. Sometimes I will get down there with him, but when he is done, he's done. He hasn't rolled over yet and seems to have no desire to. I roll him over myself whenever he screams and he immediately stops crying.

What can I do to help him? I am worried he is falling behind because I know of so many other babies who are rolling over like crazy at his age.

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 2:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's about how long my DD lasts doing tummy time. She's 4 mos. She can roll over but once she's over she just sticks her head in her hands and screams. My doc. says it's because they're frustrated they can't go anywhere.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Get down there with him in the beginning. He will prolly be happier if he has you to play with. Also give him tummy time on you bed, with you on the bed of course, but since it is squishier it will be easier for him to roll. Show him how to do it my pushing part of the bed down a little on one side so he can roll over. then put him back on his tummy and let him try.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• He only rolls on the bed. We were so excited thinking he would on the floor, but no. And I have tried being on the floor with him during the whole duration. He just hates it either way. He has been like this since birth.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 2:16 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Sounds like a strong-willed child to me (chuckling).
    Anyways, you needn't worry about your child falling behind. It's okay if he fusses for a little while. Try tummy time for a couple of minutes every hour if you can, use the toys, and then walk away and let him fuss. Some babies really enjoy tummy time, some babies don't at that age. If he's a constant "Mommy I don't like this" fuss, you can always go to a second hand store and buy what I like to call an umbrella play mat. What it is is a play mat where the baby lays on their back and there are toys hanging from this mat that's shaped like an arch. It's fun, stimulating, and eventually when he rolls, he can play what's on the mat (there's usually music, buttons, etc.).
    My son didn't care too much for tummy time so I found other stimulating things that he did like that allowed me to have some freedom to roam around the home. The 'umbrella' worked awesome!
    HeatherV.

Answer by HeatherV. at 2:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• We have an umbrella mat. I let him fuss, but then he starts screaming until he throws up. I just don't know what to do. I put him down on his tummy atleast ten times a day. It is so frustrating. I just don't know how to make it easier. He loves laying on his back and looking at the same toys I have down for him when he is on his tummy.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 3:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My son was the same way, he started rolling over early though, I'd lay him down and he would roll right over... just keep trying. Each baby if diffrent, my sons 3 now, it didnt hurt him not to have it... and he still wont lay on him stomach
    edenmoseley

Answer by edenmoseley at 3:14 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My daughter has low muscle tone, when she was that age she HATED tummy time, because she was too weak to do anything. She also has severe reflux, so it upset her stomach to be on her tummy. Is your baby typical developing? Does he hold his head up really well? My daughter was.. sort of like a sack of potatoes at that age, lol. She just couldn't hold her head up and she just sort of slumped over. Does your little one do anything like that? What I did to get my daughter to spend time on her tummy was to put on baby Einstein (which she loved) only when she was having tummy time. That way she would look up at the TV and get some good exercise. PM me if you have any questions.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Mine hated tummy time too. If he got an hour of it his entire infancy he got a lot...I just gave up. And he rolled over fine. And walked before his age mates because he didn't waste time on crawling. **grin**

Stop comparing your child to others. It's the road to madness.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• He holds his head up perfectly. He loves to be active. He loves to stand, jump, kick, whatever. As long as he is not on his stomach. haha
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 4:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My first son absolutely hated tummy time. He wouldn't do 1 minute, let alone 10. Never really affected him, though, except he didn't crawl until 18 months. He started doing this little butt scoot thing at about 8 months, and could really motor around that way. And he started walking at a year.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 4:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2009