As a Christian, what do you expect from people?

Do you expect them to change the minute you inform them of their transgressions? I mean, for example, if they do something or act differently then you do you treat them differently?
What has helped you the most on your walk as far as advice in reaching others?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've been holding a PM conversation with someone on this very subject.

I don't expect others to act differently around me. I want them to be themselves. I do my very best not to Judge others and I won't tell them their actions are wrong. Only that God loves them no matter what they've done.

And as far as reaching people, like the others, I find it best to quietly acknowledge God. I don't mean not say anything, I just mean, let's not force it onto people, that it will only push them away. I will share my faith with others, but then I will let it go and try to let Christ shine through me in my eveyday life. Like someone said above "our life may be the the only Bible they read". I love that.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:04 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Nope I expect them to be exactly as they are. They only change if its something they truly wanted to do anyway. I gave up on actually advising people. Most don't want advice if they did they'd ask for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• speak the truth in love
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:16 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I have found that keeping quiet in love is usually more effective.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I would never expect that of people. As a Christian, I try not to judge people. While that's not always possible, I still try. I instead try to put myself in their shoes and understand why they are the way they are...and try to see the best in them. I still believe that most people are good, even if only deep down.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 2:28 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I expect them to be themselves lol. But I expect no less from anyone. Now I do ask for respect as a christian, like if you know I am coming over, I don't eat unclean meat cause that is what the bible says. So I would appreciate if some kosher food was cooked. But I will not preach to you about you eating the unclean meat. Also if I am at a party and someoe is going t ospike the fruit punch I would appreciate knowing before hand lol. I am pretty sure I'll be able to tell as soon as I get a glass lol but I would still appreciate the heads up. But as far as attitude just be yourself. I had a friend who as all omgosh you're gonna leave me now that you're all christian. Ummm no, and I still talk to her. Which she is happy about, but I liked her before I became a christian. Being christian, at least to me, has nothing to do with how we should want people to act. WE chose to be christian, not everyone has lol.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Alot of christians forget that I think. Some actually I have seen and heard that they expect someone to change there attitude and actions just because they are christian. All I have to say is if as a christian you want to be around people who are just like you, hang out with such people. If you don't want people who drink/smoke/cuss blah blah blah, then leave. But if you choose to still hang out with these people do not expect them to walk on eggshells. If you have made any life changes in diet or w/e please let your friends know and hopefully they will be respectful and think of you when they know you're coming over. But other then that DO NOT expect them to be fake. Sorry I kinda dragged on my answer. So my answer simply, at least from this christian, is no. I only expect people to be respectful of my choice as I am of theirs.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Expectancy will surely disappoint you. What I do is believe the best for Love believes the best in people. God is the one that holds them accountable, not us. God expects us as Christians to love our neighbor as ourselves, that is a command and He expects us to obey it as well as loving Him.
    When we do these things we will not have to place expectancies upon people. We are to walk in grace, give honor and bless no matter what.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Also as far as reaching others Like converting? Ummmmm...talk about God. Whenever you discover something tell people about it. Not like strangers on the street, those you can hand out invitations to come to church but to talk to would prolly push them away lol. You can minister to strangers though. Like if you have the kids with you while you're shopping, at least me cause they are young still lol, sing a song to them. A God song, people might stop and ask you. Or even as simple as wearing a smile, someone is bound to stop and ask you why are you smiling so much? You're practically beaming, then tell them how happy God has made you and how truly blessed you are. Don't freak out on them but they will see your happiness and hopefully want it for themselves. But the best way to witness is by your actions, it is true that they speak louder then words.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Just like Peter and Paul said. Don't adorn yourselves with metals and preciouse stones or gold in your hair. But with meekness and humility, I can't remember the other's but show people Christ through you :) you might be surprised when God some to tkae us home at just how many you helped plant that seed of faith in :) God bless
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:13 AM on Jul. 6, 2009