• In the Spotlight:

Boys have winkys... What do girls have??? asked by a 3 yr old

how would you answer??? I told him to ask his dad...

edenmoseley

Asked by edenmoseley at 2:58 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• honestly I've been there already and done it. I told my dd the real names penis and vagina. the reason I did so was I have studied law alot as well as know 1st hand that if this child were to be molested heaven forbid their means shit with out the factual words. If the child states he put his winky in my tooter, or his hotdog in my cookie. Then the defense will say the child is confused and move for a mistrial which 9/ 10 of the time will be granted. The bad guy wins sad story. I suggest you use the real names to help protect your child for this possibility and prepare them for life. Hopefully this would never happen in which cause it does no harm and saves from a silly conversation for later, If it were to happen you make your odds of justice higher. Also you should let them know good touch bad at the same age. If you want a cutesy name there is cookie, Good luck I apoligize for the sadness I just strongly believe in this.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I'm sorry there words mean shit
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:30 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• It's better to use the real words, if only that there won't be that weirdness attached to it. I don't want my kids growing up with weird curiosity and even later feeling guilty for their curiosity. I want them to be honest to goodness bored with the whole idea. Girls have vaginas and boys have penises. That's just the way it is. You don't have to go into sexual detail, but you can be honest. There's nothing, nothing wrong with it.
    EmKirk

Answer by EmKirk at 9:23 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I would just tell him what girls have. I have kids of both genders, so it's widely known that boys have penises and girls have vaginas (actually my son has been more curious about how girls pee so we've talked about both boys and girls having a urethra, not so much a vagina just yet.) I don't see any reason to hide the fact that there are anatomical differences between the genders- you don't need to sexualize it at this age but there's nothing wrong with understanding that boys have penises and girls have vulvas (technically the whole area, not just the vagina.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:33 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• we also taught ours the correct terms
    lovedwifey1708

Answer by lovedwifey1708 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Honesty.
    He'll be hearing more and more from older kids - friends will have siblings afterall. Start with honesty now and he'll have a foundation of trust to build on when the questions get more detailed in a few years. He may not remember this conversation when he's a teen but the trust will be there.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Seriously I was not sure on how to approach this matter. My son who is 4 asked this question a few months back and to tell you the truth I cant remember how I answered him, if I answered him at all... I know it sounds bad...
    antoniosmom2004

Answer by antoniosmom2004 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2009