any tips for a quick delivery

hi all

I'm almost at 36 weeks with my seconde child and I was just wondering if there's anyway to have a quick delivery as I was in the delivery room with my daughter for 16 hours and suffered with contractions much longer.Is there any tips on getting baby out quickly other than having a cecerean?

greenmaniac

Asked by greenmaniac at 3:09 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've heard that second deliveries are quicker than first ones...

I just had my first a month and a half ago and was only there for 12 hours before she came out. I was only pushing for 1/2 an hour...so I really have nothing to compare it to!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• The most important thing is to ensure that you are comfortable, relaxed and embracing labor - as hard as that may be. :) When you are afraid or tense, your body will actually release stress hormones which counteract the labor hormones and can make for longer labors. Stress and tension also increase the amount of pain you experience. There is a great book called "Childbirth Without Fear" that describes the Fear-Tension-Pain cycle.

I've also heard that keeping lights low, keeping people who stress you OUT of the delivery room, keeping yourself nourished (water and snacks as you need them), staying mobile and getting massage during labor can all help your body work more effeciently. If vaginal exams are uncomfortable (who likes them, really?) you can always decline them - they don't make baby come any faster and YOU are in charge of your body. Avoiding them can help keep you in a relaxed and peaceful state of mind.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 3:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Second babies are usually faster babies, but really, not having a goal centered birth is the best way to birth. Read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, it talks about our hang ups as women and how just little things in our minds can hang us up in our labors. I know labor is labor, but enjoy the journey, be kind to everyone around you, eat, walk, laugh, sing and smooch your partner. Your baby will be on it's way!
    EmKirk

Answer by EmKirk at 8:49 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Hey you. I wish I knew. I tried everything and nothing helped me. My early labor was 4 days long, in and out of the hospital. I went from 1 to 6cm in 5 days...and I was ready to push at 6cm. IT was an awful scary situation. It was the most severe pain ever. 1 minute long contractions, 1 minute apart. Midwife says they were stronger than pitocin induced and they were actually trying to stop my contractions they were so intense and it wasn't changing my cervix anymore although, it sure felt like it, with all the bulging pressure and need to push...My VBAC was not successful. I'm sure you'll be fine though. I guess I'm rare. My husband and I are convinced I would have died if there were no doctors to perform c-sections.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2009