How stressful is labor on the mom?

Im am 31 weeks pregnat close to 32. Im only 15 an scared to death of whats going to happen when im in labor and want to know as much as i can to help me be more calm for my baby.

K3lly94

Asked by K3lly94 at 3:24 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Every woman's body is different. But try to remember how many women have done this before you -um half the population of the earth that ever existed :) No matter how stressful... holding that baby in your arms will have been worth anything you endured. It is scary... It's like a roller coaster that you wait in line for hours to ride and then you get to the front and start asking people behind you if they want to go ahead lol :)

I want to go into labor so bad right now I can't see straight. But that is mostly hormonal. I have a lot to do this week and am trying to remain calm! LOL.

Labor will be one of the few things in life that maybe worse than you expect but far more amazing than you possibly knew could exist. You will feel emotional highs and lows and need to make plans now (epidural or not, meds, support system, etc) so that you can be just slightly more level headed when the time comes :)
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 7:50 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Its scary i wnt lie. I was ur age with my 1st. But honestly its not as bad as u think.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 3:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I had an epidural, didn't feel a thing. Slept through most of the labor. Nurses had to tell me when to push. It was great. You'll be fine, just think thousands of other women do it every day.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:32 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Do you have a pediatrician picked out? Are you going to breastfeed? Some of those types of questions might be a good distraction from fretting over the labor. Check out the answers section in the babies part to see what other moms ended up asking after their lo arrived...

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 7:52 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• i recommend you read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin. it is a wonderful book. the first part is all birth stories, the last part is about the essentials of birth. you need to prepare yourself as best you can. if you go into scared or stressed, you're probably going to have a hard labor. but if you go into prepared and confident in what you know you can do (bc this is what women's bodies are meant to do; bring babies into the world), then you could have an easier labor than you would going into it scared. just remember that this is what our bodies are meant to do. think positive. and don't listen to anyone's "horrible" birth stories. it's only going to make you more scared. listen to your body and instincts.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 8:16 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• It must be hard to be so young and getting ready to have a baby. Labor pain, is just that, painful. But it's also a wonderful rewarding kind of pain! I am young, and I've had two babies with no pain medication, and nothing, nothing, nothing compares to holding your baby at the end. Nothing, no pep talk, no books and no helpful advice can make you feel more prepared to take care of your baby then knowing that you were strong enough to give birth to it. Talk about self esteem! The fact of the matter is, that you ARE strong enough, you CAN do it. Find a support person and tell them your fears and ask them to keep you focused on the positive, before and during your labor. You will need somebody by your side that you can trust and is mature enough to stick it out.
    God bless you and your new baby!
    EmKirk

Answer by EmKirk at 8:46 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• MommytoBobby is right. Trust your body & listen to it. Move with the pain, breathe & know your body is doing it's job. Labor doesn't have to be awful. It's natural and beautiful if you let it be that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Go to lamaze classes. I had a child at 18 and wished I would have taken them then but I waited until my second child before I took the lamaze class. It will give you a good idea of what is going to happen to you and your body. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• It really depends on how your body and baby act. Mine was fairly smoothing. Painfull yes, but not too bad overall. My duaghter came very fast and I didn't really feel the contractions until 7 or 8 centimeteres. I didn't have time for drugs, but wish I had a better class on breathing as my arms were going numb! Just try to relax and let your body do it's thing. You'll know when to push and all that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• pretty darn
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 11:50 AM on Jul. 6, 2009