• In the Spotlight:

natural remedies for ear infection?

my poor dd has gotten a few ear infections within the past month. the docs keep giving us antibiotics. i am concerned about this, and wondering if anyone knows of any natural remedies to treat/cure ear infections? i use the hyland's earache drops for pain, but those don't get rid of the infection. dd is 1 year old and still breastfed. her symptoms seem to be getting worse with each subsequent infection. anything you have tried that treats/cures/prevents the infection? any suggestions (other than seeing an ENT)? thanks ladies!

kyriesmommy13

Asked by kyriesmommy13 at 5:01 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• silver shield colloidal silver, you just put drops in her ears for a few days. Ask the people at the natural health store for directions on exactly how to use it. You could ask them if they have any recommendations cures also.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• breastmilk every couple hours in the ear is great for ear infections. Also warm garlic oil is too. I would do the breast milk in the ears all the time 3-4 times a day as a preventative and if she actually gets an ear infection the increase the frequency.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Put apple cider vinegar on a Q-tip and drip it into your child's ear a couple of times a day.
    bethquled

Answer by bethquled at 8:31 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Garlic Oil I found worked for my daughter's ears. You can put it in thier ears or put it on thier feet and cover them with socks. I found rubbing the oil on her feet was a lot easier. You can get it at a health food store that sells natural oils.
    LauraKenney

Answer by LauraKenney at 8:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Mullein flower and garlic oil is an age old remedy for earaches. The mullein flower part might be hard to find, and if you don't, there's an "herbs for kids" drop with just garlic oil and willow for the pain.
    EmKirk

Answer by EmKirk at 9:04 AM on Jul. 6, 2009