What is a hero?

What is a hero to you? What is a hero to your kids? Do you try to mold their idea of a heroism?

This could really go under any category I am noticing... lol. How bout Just For Fun (aka other)

CooksWife

Asked by CooksWife at 7:22 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• to me it can be anyone from soldiers to the a kid helping an old person across the street
    my kids will most likely think the same way
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:37 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• To me a hero is someone who puts others before themselves. Whether it be by serving and/or protecting their nation, state, city and the people in it or by someone bringing groceries to a shut-in. Anybody can be somebodies hero. Jeremy's heroes are soldiers, police officers, and firefighters. He told me the other day that he wants to be all three and told me to sign him up for it when he is older. Everybody got a kick out of that. Anyways, as far as molding my ideas to him, well, he grew up around his heroes. I am starting to teach him that anybody can be a hero. We are planning on doing some volunteer work in the next couple of weeks so I will discuss it with him then and more as he grows older.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I agree with Jeremysmom. Anyone can be a hero. It's anyone who honestly puts others before themselves. I think from a soldier to someone trying to help clean beaches are heros. Anyone that is willing to do something in aide or defense of others.
    RavnJay

Answer by RavnJay at 8:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• To my husband and to my oldest I am a hero. My youngest hasnt heard the story yet because I dont think he would understand just yet...i'll wait till he's nine like his brother and maybe teach him like i taught his brother:) I am a survivor of Hydrocephalus (Water on the Brain), and have lived 35 years so far with numerous accomplishments never expected.....
    chickaboom73

Answer by chickaboom73 at 9:31 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I have trouble with the whole "hero" thing. We always assume a hero is morally straight, but what if a drug addict or thief saved your child from your car which was on fire after a wreck? Wouldn't that person be a hero even though (s)he isn't the type of person you want your child to emulate on a daily basis? I think hero is someone who does what needs to be done at the moment without thinking about the danger to him/herself even though (s)he may not live a life that we want our children to model. We look at the act of selflessness in isolation and assume the person is good.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 6, 2009