Has anyone placed their child in residential treatment for a psychiatric disorder?

How'd that work for you?

Cabominny

Asked by Cabominny at 7:25 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I helped place my sister when she was 14 and living with us. She had some kind of psychotic break, and we're still not sure what really was going on in her head. She was admitted, and doesn't remember 3 days. She sort of "woke up" and didn't know where she was or why. Here's the really important part. If you need to put her in an inpatient facility, research it. The one she went to was the state type one, and they send runaways and behavioral problems there, too. The staff treated her like she had done something wrong, which she had not.

We transferred her to another place that was private, and she did MUCH better. Try to visit and see how the staff interacts with people. Check visitation policies. The first place, she wasn't allowed to speak with her parents for 3 days. Remember she lost some time, so she had no idea why she was there, and they kept telling her 'you did something wrong.'
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:39 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My friends daughter is in the adolescent psych ward for the 3rd time this year. If she did what the staff taught her, she would be a lot better off. If they staff knows what they are doing, are patient and understanding and the family helps the child by not making excuses for the child;s behavior it is much more helpful. The child needs to be given the coping skills to live with their disorder.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• my sister is about to go to a hospital. and my step mom had to send her second oldest to one also. make sure you find the best for your child if that is the case because sometimes those places may look nice but they dont treat the kids right and it makes them worse. thats what happened to my step sister. she is seriously ill now because of the staffing where she was and they took her off her meds. now that she is out and married with a baby she has paranoid schitzopfrenia and post pardom depression. she has been suffering for 5 or 6 years now.
    nattysmommie

Answer by nattysmommie at 11:25 AM on Jul. 6, 2009