Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should a 104.4 rectal temperature in a 16 month be looked at immediately (ER) or wait until the doctor office opens?

I place a call to my pediatricians emergency line and am waiting for a call back. My husband says 105 needs immediate care but I was thinking I had heard 103. My internet research is telling me everything from take her in at 100.2 to give her an ice bath (I will never do that) and let her sleep it off.


Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 14 (1,498 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • pediatric nurse here - She can wait till the dr. opens check it again in 20 minutes give her some Tylenol and wait 20 minutes and retry. we tell mothers of 6 month old's that the temp has to be that high for a certain amount of time and usually a few hours(5-6) and if the Tylenol don't work then we tell them to come in if it doesn't drop . so you should be fine UNLESS shes lethargic and acting very abnormal then there is something more wrong then. THEN yes bring her to the ER

    Answer by preggoinmn at 7:52 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • My DD just recently had high temps of 104 & shes now 18 mo. I as well paniced & called her on call doc. Remember that a temp is a way that the body fights off an infection so a temp is actually good. New research shows that seizures happen not b/c of how high a temp is but by a temp spiking very quickly up to a high temp. Give him some tylanol (as the bottle says) comfort him, & try to get him to sleep. Call ur doc when they open they will most likely want to see him however, we went in for the time when my DD had the high temp (I as well was sick w/ the same temp) & our doc said u have the flu sorry take tylanol to keep the temp under control, drink lots of fluids, & sleep hope u feel better.

    Answer by Mel30248 at 7:50 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • i was told they have to have that high of a temp for 3days befor u bring her in,my lil one had a high temp the same and i called, they said to wait 3days then bring her in,,it turned out to be an ear infection

    Answer by angelairelan at 9:43 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • Thanks ladies. We went to the walk in clinic this morning. She most likely has a viral infection, so at least I know it isn't something terrible. There is an infection here that is presenting much the way she is now, and most cases resolved themselves within 3-4 days.

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 6, 2009