3 year old drops the " F " bomb.. help..

ok my 3 yr old learned a word from his uncle and now says it all the time he could be singing a song and he will put in the f word in there somewere..i have disaplined time outs spanked him everything nothing works he knows its a bad word and will even say " dont say that bad word" he seems to like the look or reaction he gets from us so we tried to ignore it thinking he would stop if we didnt react.. that didnt work. we have done and tried everything and have gotton no were. does anyone have advice?? im ready to blow. ohh and yes his uncle did get a lashing from us and wont swear around him again. but it seems a little to late. *sigh*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It might sound harsh, but I had a friend who got tabasco sauce put on her tongue for a minute or so when she lied. Maybe that would work. But ouch.
    EmKirk

Answer by EmKirk at 9:18 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• my little girl learned the word bitch at preschool and would not stop calling everyone that for a while. we had tried everything too and as harsh as it is, we ended up every time having to act very disappointed "ok, dd come here...." in a sad voice, then spank her, then wash her mouth out with soap and then go to her room. the first time in a day was 30 min, then 1 hr, and so on. she stopped after 3 days. Just make sure you STRONGLY reinforce that you love them and are not doing it because you are angry, but because it is not okay for them to do that and you want them to be happy and healthy and good people when they grow up.
    lovedwifey1708

Answer by lovedwifey1708 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• my daughter said "oh shit" the other day... lol. It was hard not to laugh cause of the context she said it in but we told her that's a word that big people say and not kids... if she says it again she'll have to go in time out (she HATES isolation!) she hasn't said it again... i would take a toy that he loves everytime he says it.. tell him that he will NOT get any of them back until he stops saying the word...
    xanayda

Answer by xanayda at 10:47 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• well my advice is to not freak out. Once they see their getting a reaction from you they will continue to use it. My most used phrase what the hell. Yeah oops. I just ignored it and they stopped.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• What a crack-up...LOL! ...Don't know what to tell ya. My son calls his brother a retard sometimes, but I laugh way too hard for him to think that anything I say is serious ...plus he hasn't said it in public that I know of. If he becomes totally inapropriate w/ it, I'll get mad & he'll get the point. I'm more easy going, though. It's kinda' cute the first time you hear 'em say it! Is that bad?
    hermajesty2

Answer by hermajesty2 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• How long did you ignore it? And did EVERYONE in his environment ignore it? To change a behavior, it sometimes takes as long as two weeks of following your program consistently without anyone encouraging him. Just one person laughing and giving him attention will keep it going. Also, expect that he will probably say the word more than ever when he sees that it is not getting your attention! Stay consistent with your ignoring. When you hear him speaking nicely, make sure you praise him for it. Say to him,"I really like how you are using your nice words today." It makes me happy when I hear them." You don't have to mention the "bad" words. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I did not ignore it. My boys know that it is my job to wash what is dirty. A little liquid dish soap in the mouth never hurt a child. My 2 oldest boys have had a personal introduction to the flavorful nuances of soap. I have a 2 year old that I am sure I will have to introduce soap to him as well. My sisters & I have had the this experience. The 1 time my mom washed my soap out, I did not like it. I have never understood why many parents today do nothing to correct their children when they say a bad word. I have told children not to a word because it was a bad/swear word. They would ask me what I meant. They had no clue what I was talking about. They hear it from their parents, other family members, friends, strangers, movies, and video games. There is nothing uglier than a child that swears. It also means that they are not be taught to control what they say. I am not the only one that feels this way. Good luck.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• my 3yr old said " i love you bitch" like nothing i spanked his mouth IN PUBLIC thanks god no one called the cops and i made him face the wall for 3 minutes then i told him why i spanked his mouth and i told him i was gonna spank his mouth even harder if he ever said that again. i felt bad but that was my first reaction. he doesn't know wut he's saying but now that i explained to him it's a bad word he won't say bitch anymore. it's crazy how he kinda used the word in a correct sentence
    felicia7806

Answer by felicia7806 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2009