Are you tired of "vanity sizing"?

Vanity sizing is the fashion industry's trick which involves putting a smaller size label on larger clothing. The more upscale designers are more likely to indulge in this practice. Because of this, a size 10 in one brand might be a 14 in another, and a 6 in yet another.

BayAreaBiker

Asked by BayAreaBiker at 8:31 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Shopping

• I'm pretty much a size 10 in any brand I buy. I don't buy super pricey clothes. I do notice that my old 10s (from before I had kids) seem smaller. It is what it is.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I'm tired of hearing people are size "0"...I mean seriously folks! That's ridiculous. Haven't yet heard of a "-2" but I'm sure it's out there...or at least in the works.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:35 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I've discovered through the years that the more I pay for brand name/designer clothing the smaller the size, and in cheaply made clothing, that my sizes are bigger!

In fitted skirts, jeans and dress pants, I am consistently a size 8 (at the age of 40 and having 5 & 7 year old children), but in some brands I am a 4 and in others a 14!!!! And in tops, I range from size small to large--again depending on the brand/designer!

Now, I could really care less what the tag on the INSIDE of my clothing says, to me it's all about how the clothes LOOK on me and if they are flattering. IMO, anyone who HAS to "advertise" their clothing size is incredibly superficial and insecure. If you're a "size 0" it's OBVIOUS you're small, so to have to mention it comes off as "the girl has some issues!!!" LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• it drives me crazy since I hate shopping so I just want to go in grab a bunch of a size I know and leave. Now I have to try EVERYTHING on and it takes forever.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 9:52 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I'm fat and prefer to be lied to thank you very much. :)
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 12:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I'm fat and hate being lied to! lol I order a lot of stuff online and let's face it, I know I'm extra, extra big. Being irritated by having to return "my" size to buy 3 sizes smaller than I KNOW I wear is just a reminder than I'm fat, not an ego stroke at all!
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I hate it. I shop online a lot for myself and yes I am a size 0 to 00 (long at that). I am so tired of buying things and have to return them cause they are more like a 3. I am a small framed person and there is nothing I can do about it and I am tired of not finding cloths that fit because they want to make other people comfortable.
    Dianneakamommy

Answer by Dianneakamommy at 12:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I'm a heavy girl to begin with (but the Average American Woman is a size 14-16-- so I"m average!) and I HATE having to try on 3 different sizes of the SAME THING in order to see which fits me!
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 12:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• You mean I'm not REALLY a six!? lol
    toomanypoodles

Answer by toomanypoodles at 7:16 AM on Jul. 19, 2009