Pre-school or no pre-school?

My husband and I have agreed not to send our children to pre-school. I'm home with the kids and they have their cousins that they see 1 or 2 a week. My husband's family is giving us a hard time and think I'm crazy for not sending them. I feel like they are babies and should be able to act like it for awhile.

suebee3

Asked by suebee3 at 9:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am home schooling. We are doing preschool curriculum. You don't need to send them to preschool. I agree that they aren't still babies, but I don't think they need to be in full time child care, which really is what preschool is often times.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I agree. 100%. Plus, you are their parents, its not only your right, but your responsiblity to do what you think is best for them. By the way, my kids are only 2 1/2 and 1 year, and I've already decided to home school them. I just can't condone the things children are taught, not taught, pick up and get sick with in a public (or private) school. You stick up for your decision, they are your children, you decide!
    EmKirk

Answer by EmKirk at 9:16 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Im sending my DD to preschool.... she starts in August... I'm nervous... and excited... but I went to preschool and so did my siblings... I just think its a head start to school... b/c I'm a working mom and can't homeschool! besides, she needs to meet new friends. and get a head start on school!! She's so smart as it is! GoodLuck with whatever you decide....it is your child..and no one should say whether you should or shouldn't
    Brookes_Mommy

Answer by Brookes_Mommy at 10:32 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• we decided to not send him this year< hes 3> but will be sending him when he is 4.. unforntuantly that may not work.. he ahs to go for a speech evaulation becuase he still isnt talking well, and if he dosent need therapy then they will place him in a pre school.. im fine either way ill jsut miss him!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• We sent our middle son to Pre School. He was 4 when he started but it was suggested that we send him because he was still having trouble in the talking area. It turned out to be the best thing for him. I missed him A LOT but he's talking a lot better now. I think it depends on the kid and what you think is best for them. I know at the Preschool that we sent our son to they played a lot and it was fun for him. He couldn't wait to go back to school and hated leaving it.

Do what you think is best for you kid and just try to ignore what other people say.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• It's up to you. Some studies seem to indicate that preschool helps in the early years of education. Other studies seem to indicate that it makes no difference.

I'll be sending mine for 2 1/2 days a week. I'm a SAHM too and can teach her all the academic things she needs to know. But I can't teach her to listen to a teacher when I'm not there, to remember and follow classroom rules, to work with a group of other children to complete a project, to share toys with 10 other kids, and all of the other "how to go to school and get along" things that she can learn in preschool. Yes, she gets time to play with other kids already but always in small groups and mixed ages. Preschool will give her time with a set group of kids her own age, a chance to learn how to make friends.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My kids go to pre school .I have seen her change she likes to line up all her toy in smallest to largest.She like that she can go to a place her brother and little sister can't and she making new friends and expecting new thing like fieid trips every friday.Special readers come and big kids like her older sis bro she get to see them at Monday moring school meeting in the theatre and she can sit quietly for more then 25 mins .She can sit still for one hour and 45 mins.I'm pro pre school pupblic any school .But my kids go to a charter school.
    jasperrosalina

Answer by jasperrosalina at 1:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• At 3 and 4 they are no longer babies! Let them grow up for crying out loud.

Do they need preschool, no. But they do need to NOT be treated like babies.

Anonymous

• For us preschool has been one of the best decisions we have made towards our childs future. As much as we as parents think we can teach them all they will need to know by kindergarten we cant.. Nowadays preschool is very important anymore. weather they go at 3 or 4 it doesnt hurt. Ive heard from many teachers how differant the kids who have been in a preschool environment versus the ones who havent and how behind they already are if they havent gone.. but in the end its your decision. I personally think the positives far outweigh the negatives.
    Anonymous

• "At 3 and 4 they are no longer babies! Let them grow up for crying out loud.

Do they need preschool, no. But they do need to NOT be treated like babies."

AMEN!!
    Not sending your kid to preschool just because you want them to still be your baby is wrong on so many levels... You going to keep them home from school for the same reason?
    Preschool is great for transitioning them and getting them ready for school. Once or twice may seem like enough but kids need more interaction than that with kids their own age.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 4:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2009