Anyone have garge sale advice?

I've never had one... wondering... how much did you make? What things sold best? If you had collectibles, any tips on pricing/getting them to sell? I don't even know what to ask! Thanks.

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 9:31 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Here's a Cafemom article on "don'ts" of yard sales:

http://www.cafemom.com/dailybuzz/home_garden/5702/How_to_Have_a_Hugely_Unsuccessful_Yard_Sale
    starwildchild

Answer by starwildchild at 9:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Household stuff seems to sell really quickly - pictures, shelves, knick-knacks, what nots, decorative stuff. Furniture usually goes first if it's priced reasonable for a garage sale. Be ready to barter - and give yourself a set amount of time to see at least half of everything gone. If you want to have a 2 day sale - then on day 2 everything goes to half price. And make arrangements for the local charity to pick up the leftovers ahead of time. If you're out to make money and not willing to barter a little you're in trouble already. My neighbor had a sale ( there was an old broken table - i thought I could repair it and use it outside) she had $50 on it and wouldn't budge, citing it was "antique" A day after her sale it was in the trash cuz no one would buy it. Her best offer on it - mine - $15- the thing was in 5 pieces - I mean broke! but she was more willing to throw it away than to barter. Barter Barter, Barter!
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• instead of marking everything individually have price tables. Everything on this table $1. I mark all my kids cloths $0.25 and rarely have anything left. On large items, mark them higher because people want to barter down. Makes them feel like they are getting a steal.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Clean, Clean, don't put out your dirty stuff! Advertise...like on Craigslist!!! Ask some neighbors if they would be interested in joining in...it will attract more people! Sort, sort, sort...keep all $1 items in one section, and 50 cent things together...make sure things are clearly marked and be willing to negotiate!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 10:16 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Decide upfront if your goal is take make money or to get rid of stuff. Then remember, in order to make money, you have to be selling really good stuff. I've seen people try to sell badly stained children's clothes for half what they paid for, but no one is going to pay $10 for torn and stained clothes just because they have a fancy name on the label. 

If you are going to trash the stuff or give it to a thrift shop if it doesn't sell, sell it cheap.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:22 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I mark my clothes, on the tag, with washable crayon markers, it is quick and easy and doesn't fall off like price tags do. Just make a colored slash somewhere on the tag. Make several signs that show what each color means.....

Blue = $1.00
    Pink = 50 cents
    Green = 25 cents

If you have stuff left late in your sale, just change the signs........now

Blue = 75 cents
    Pink = 25 cents
    Green = 10 cents

I've done this for years and it has always worked really well.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 10:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I give most of my stuff to this charity place because I hate spending all day sitting in my drive way. My kids love it though. The best most serious customers come early. I do 9am-1pm then whatever is left goes to the charity which closes at 2 on Saturday. My boys are bugging me to do another one. So I am bugging them to clean out their stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2009