whiney and 4

my 4 year old whines like a baby everytime he is not happy. ESPECIALLY when he is tired. We moved into a bigger house so each of our kids could have their own room so his older sister would stop waking him up but she still sneaks in when she can. I am not kidding, if she wakes him, he whines ALL DAY. any tips? i feel like we have tried everything!

lovedwifey1708

Asked by lovedwifey1708 at 9:34 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you find out the answer to this question, you'll be wealthy!! My son is the middle child and at 5 he whines like he did at 4 and 3 years old. He only does it with us, at home--not at school. If that helps you at all. I just send him to his room or make him sit on the stairs for a time out. I will give him a rest time, and if he sleeps ok, if not that is ok too. Some kids are whiny. I use the phrase---"you are hurting my ears when you talk like that." They do it because we respond to it. I don't know how to totally ignore him, but I do think eventually he'll grow out of it. Good luck.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• whoop her butt & make her leave him alone
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Can you put a baby gate up on her bedroom door so she can't get out of her room at night to wake him up? When my son was that age (and up till about 6) if he didn't get enough sleep, he didn't whine but he would just be plain rotten all day.He would get into everything he knew he wasn't supposed to,he'd run around like a maniac like he was a windup toy and someone cranked up the wind up key,lol and he wouldn't do very well in school either,I'd get notes home on those days.I am a true believer that sleep plays a very big roll on a childs behavior.If I were you ,I'd do everything I could so he can get uninterrupted sleep and be able to sleep long enough until he wakes up on his own if possible.Good Luck! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Must be something to do with the age my son bugs me so bad with his whining. He never whined when he was younger seems like soon as he hit 4 everything turned into a whine fest with him. If he gets mad, he whines. If he's tired, he whines. If he can't have his way, he whines. It's like C'mon now enough of the whining!!
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 4:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• its good to know im not alone!! and he is soooo much worse at home. occasionally he will get that way at the store or park but for the most part just at home. ack, it makes me wanna pull my hair out lol
    lovedwifey1708

Answer by lovedwifey1708 at 1:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2009