• In the Spotlight:

ok i posted the question about my daughter always being hungry.

Some of the answers said that it could be diabetes and I looked online of some other symptons and she has 3 of them. Diabetes runs in my dads family. I made an appointment today to get her tested. I'm nervous and scared, has anyones toddler had diabetes? I just need some support please.

MomAt15woah

Asked by MomAt15woah at 9:35 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My children do not, but I work at a school where there are a number of diabetic children. They appear to do very well and the advances in testing are amazing. They all wear monitors and pumps which regulate their insulin for them. I find these kids remarkable, I guess because their lives depend on it, but they are so aware of what they eat, how they feel, etc... and they are great advocates for themselves. They have no problem coming up at anytime and saying "I am feeling low, I need a friend to take me to the nurse". So well spoken, so self assured!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 9:42 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My cousin's ds has juvenile diabetes. At first, he got the shots. Now, he is using the monitor & pump. It is amazing. The PP has it right about when a child's insulin is low & how that child will tell an adult. While it is scary that your child could be diagnosed with diabetes & there are possible complications because of it, it does not mean that your child will not be able to live a happy & fulfilling life.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Both my children have Type 1 and it is scary at times but you learn to deal with it and life returns to mostly normal. My 8 year old was 3 when he was dx'd and my now 16 mo old baby was 12 mos 4 days. It is just our life now and it isn't horrible. Don't be scared, you will manage just fine. There couldn't be a better time in history for a child to be diabetic. Both my boys wear insulin pumps and they eventually will get the continuous glucose monitors. Fingers crossed that your LO isn't Diabetic though. Good luck.
    quickshep19

Answer by quickshep19 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2009