Stove nearly kills Hubby and they still wont replace it?!

A month ago our stove gave off a blinding flash (and I was in the livingroom, not the kitchen!) and caused a power outage in our entire apartment building. The power company said if my husband (who was cooking dinner) was touching the metal, it could have killed him.

Now the damn thing is burning the food on one burner, not getting hot on the other and im afraid to try the other two because we dont have enough money to keep burning food. How can I get these apartments to replace the stove? One matenance man said it needed replaced, the other said in a laughing manner "n0t if we can fix it!". We live in Las Vegas NV and its a pretty big apartment complex - 500 apartment buildings with 4 apartments each.

So how can I get them to replace it?

SpiritedTigress

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 10:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• #1 STOP USING THE STOVE! Use your microwave as an alternative until they fix or replace the stove or you buy one yourself.
    #2 document all communication with management regarding the stove. Keep a journal or communicate via email if possible.
    #3 Read up on your tenants rights. Go to the HUD-Nevada website or google "housing disputes NV." HUD will lead you in the right direction to help you settle this problem.
    starwildchild

Answer by starwildchild at 10:21 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I agree with starwildchild. Also instead of just using the microwave, you could also use an electric skillet or portable burner(they are usually pretty cheap) until you can get the stove fixed or replaced.
    rennisance

Answer by rennisance at 2:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Contact your local renters' rights office. If there is not one in your area, contact the buildings department at your local city hall.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2009