my ankles and feet swelled up just today I am 30 weeks what is going on ? can it be from the sun i got all day and the heat?

please reply if you have swelling experience

ashlyn1983

Asked by ashlyn1983 at 2:47 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Many times preggo feet swell for standing  too long...the heat is also a culprit. If you feel light headed, or have a headache.. and the swelling does not go down after you elevate your legs for at least 30 minutes ...call the doctor. You could have a problem with water retention, pre-eclampsia or high blood pressure problems. It never hurts to call and talk with a nurse. good luck and feel better soon
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Don't ask strangers. Call your doctor. It could be a simple answer, or it could be a symptom of something serious...especially if it was a lot, and very fast.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:10 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• call ur dr, it could be nothing but it could be pre-eclampsia, when i was preg anything i was worried about i would call the midwife straight away, better safe then sorry is my moto
    sammy04k

Answer by sammy04k at 10:32 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• hello i am a nursing student and know that it is normal for end of the day swelling in your ankles and feet, however(don't mean to scare you) but if this is happening in the morning, it could be a sign of preeclampsia which needs to be addressed by your doctor ASAP. preeclampsia can lead to some seriously dangerous hypertension and possibly even seizures if not managed well enough. please talk to your doctor to be sure. never ever be afraid to call your OBGYN b/c you are not only taking care of you but also your baby.
    lilmommy81

Answer by lilmommy81 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• The humidity will DEFINITELY make you swell! Drink lots and lots of water, and stay away from caffeine and anything salty. Also, put your feet up & use cold compresses to help reduce the swelling. If you get dizzy AT ALL, call the doctor right away!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• If it's sudden swelling, including your face and other parts of your body, I would go see your doctor. It can be a sign of pre-eclampsia/toxemia. You would also have high blood pressure, and possibly protein in your urine.

I was very swollen in the final months of my pregnancy and I gave birth last July. The heat definitely makes you swell! I asked the doctors to check me several times for pre-eclampsia, but b/c I didn't have high bp, they said I was fine.

To be on the safe side, get checked out. Keep off your feet as much as possible, and stay hydrated:)

Good luck mama!
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 10:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2008