Which location is better for daycare for my 2 1/2 boy to go to near home or job?

Drod

Asked by Drod at 10:06 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you or your SO work alot or are yall at home more often?
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 10:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• i'd go with closer to my job b/c just in case something happens, you can get to him faster
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Job...definitely job!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:26 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I've done both (my commute is about an hour) my girls are older now (11 & 8), but I'd definitely recommend closer to HOME. On days off, I'd be able to drop them at daycare for a little bit if I needed to run errands or something. They became friends w/the kids in daycare, who also are in the area and we are still friends with to this day. They transitioned together from daycare to school - the daycare close to home was really a good start for becoming part of the community where we live.
    jj.mominmd

Answer by jj.mominmd at 10:50 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I use one by the office. Hubby and I work in the same area so we can easily get to her during the days and I work til 6 most nights so it's nice to have a day care near by that's open until 6:30. I don't know if I could beat the traffic to get to a center near my house
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I've always gone with closer to home. 1, home is less likely to change than job, especially with the economy as it is right now. If your job changes, you'd either have a possibly longer drive or have to change daycares. 2, if my kid gets sick at daycare, I'd rather them have a short ride home than a longer one, so they can get home and relax. 3, if I need my parents or someone else to pick them up, it's generally further out of their way to get to one by work than to get to one by home.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:28 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I currently have a day care provider close to my work. I have to say I wish I had chosen one closer to home though. On days when I am sick and my child is not it's hard to get up and drive her all the way across town just to come back home. There have been a couple of occasions though when I needed to leave work in a hurry to take care of something with her during the day and it has been convenient to only drive a few blocks rather than across town. I guess I'd have to say somewhere in the middle would be best.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I would say that is more of a personal preference and where you get the best feeling when you visit. Personally, I am glad my son is close to work. My DH and I work right next to my son's daycare. When he was an infant, I LOVED this even more because I could feed him during lunch. Now, it is helpful if I get a call that he is sick or hurt, so I can visit him or pick him up if I need to. I also work 30 minutes from home, so if there is a day that i have to work late or get stuck in traffic, I dont have to worry about rushing home to make sure I am not late picking him up. Check on the center closing times and what their late fee is. Many places charge by the minute you are late. If need be, I could always go get my son and return to the office within 5 minutes if I had to work late.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• OH, another reason I like having him by work is for when they do special things at the daycare and I can attend them. Every December they do a Holiday program in the afternoon. Because it is right next door I can use my lunch hour to watch him in the program instead of driving home (30 minutes each way) and back and having to take time off work. They also trick or treat at Halloween, and do breakfasts every now and then (Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc.)
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2009