What is Dad's role?

I have read a lot about extended breastfeeding, attachment parenting, homeschooling and the like. These all "seem" very Mom/child centered. What role does Dad play in these families? Not bashing, just interested in how Dad fits in.

teampalmer4

Asked by teampalmer4 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• AP mom here. We are an AP family. My husband baby wears our children too. I breast fed but did pump so my husband could participate and feed our child as well. I felt my child needed both of us from the beginning. We cosleep with our two kids and my husband is very involved in everything. I work part time so he does not have to work two jobs he will be promoted next month then I will be able to quit and be home full time again. We are a team and are about our children having two parents they can trust and rely on. I do think in many AP families dads are effectively cut out. My sister has done this to her now ex husband. He was able to get joint custody thankfully she wanted sole custody with very little visitation for him. He is a good dad and now he has them gets time with the kids. Women have to be careful babies need mom and dad not just mom. AP or not women can forget they have a partner after giving birth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Wherever the family feels like dad fits, wherever he feels comfortable in participating. If it's a forced thing then it's not a good experience for anyone. This is why it's so important to discuss roles before marriage and/or having children. That way there is no mistake about who's going to do what.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I dont breastfeed anymore and when my husband was off work for a month he took the night shift with the feeding changing and staying up with the little one if he wouldnt go back down. I would say that it is split for me and my husband. But he just started to go back to work. So im not sure how things will change. But my husband wants to be apart of our sons life. He would rather be the stay at home parent and just have me go to work so he wont miss anything that our son does.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• The role of a father is giving direction to a child, teen years most important. Yes, mothers are important in direction, but the mother is a comfort giver. Some mothers can be both, but that's very difficult. And, a lot of children are left out if the mother is out of the home too much. (I was lucky in this area. I had a ring of friends, mother themselves, that my daughter stayed with while I worked.) So this is where the father fits in. Having a father helps maintain the parental balance of a child's comfort and directive teachings. Children do need a father, not only for financial support, but for psychological support.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 11:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• For the 3 above, do you home school, practice AP or extended breast feeding? How does Dad fit in during the early years where these styles "seem" to favor the Mother?
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I only breast fed for the first few months before switching to Emfamil. At first my mother cared for my daughter. But then during the last elementary years into highschool, I had a strong supportive circle of mother friends with daughters the same age as mine. I had to work (no choice). My daughter's father came into her life during the late childhood and throughout her teen years. I made an effort to reacher her father and told him how incredible brilliant she was, and how proud he would be.

I took the 'dad role' in the question as an overall importance of a dad in a kid's life.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 11:26 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Bluesaphire- I hope I did not hurt your feelings, I was glad to read your answers and happy you responded.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2009