Head Injuries......Did U Know?!

Did you know that 50% of kids hospitalized for bicycle, in-line skating, and skateboarding injuries are diagnosed with a brain injury? Did you know that this can be prevented by simply wearing a helmet? http://wearahelmet.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Itemid=1

I knew this....but my 17-year-old thinks that he is far too cool to be seen by his buddies wearing a helmet. That changed Friday night when he fell on the pavement landing on his head and busting open his brow bone leaving brow bone, muscle, and nerves exposed. Pics are far too gruesome for posting here this morning Moms. Thank goodness he will be all right, but he did receive 20 some stitches (some inside and some outside). Besides showing them websites and telling them the statistics, does anyone have good ideas on how to convince children of this age (teens) to wear their helmets at all times? All ideas welcome.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• ....Before bashing, please know that my son owns a helmet and it was in his backpack when the paramedics took him to the hospital, he just chose not to wear it to be cool in front of his friends, hence the wondering how to convince them otherwise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• When you figure it out let me know! I try and make my 14 yo wear his helmet when he leaves the house, but he has come back without it on, I have seen him around without it, etc... I would hope this experience will convince him and his friends to wear them!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I hear you there! His friends were pretty scared and they were the ones that called 911.....maybe that experience will make them all think twice. Thank you for letting me know I am not alone. In fact, that is why I posted anon.....I was just sure that someone would tell me what a horrible mother I am, but the truth is....once they get a little older they do make some decisions that we don't like....like not wearing helmets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Well, my guess is anyone that tells you you are a bad Mom does not have a teenager yet. I was so sure when my boys were young that they would always listen and do as I tell them... boy, what a wake up call! My hope is my boys (and yours too!) will survive all the dumb choices they make, just like we survived all the dumb ones we made!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My son does the same things... leaves with a helmet because we make him, but I don't know what happens afterwards. I have told him that I better not ever see him, or hear from a trusted friend, that he is not wearing a helmet or I take the bike away for a month. I try to tell him I don't have many rules, but that is one of them, period.

Its odd because he skis and always wears a helmet, and never complains. More and more people do so skiing, but for some reason, he doesn't like the bike helmet. I even have offered to buy any one he wants, as long as he wears it... but he says they are all uncomfortable, annoying, etc.

PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 12:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I agree...it's pretty much the norm here to wear a helmet while skiing or snowboarding, but not the other activities. Not sure why the kids see that as different? Still a helmet to protect the head.
    Anonymous

• I have known this for years. If you make your kids wear a helmet from the time they are toddlers, it is not a problem. The teenagers in our neighborhood all wear helmets, as do the adults. The police in my city will give kids tickets when they see them with helmets on...tickets for FREE ice cream. My son has had 2 head injuries because he tried to sneak out without his helmet and fell. He will NEVER ride without one now, he didn't like being strapped to a backboard, having a CT scan and neck exrays and the threat of being taken to the brain injury unit of a childrens hospital to see what DOES happen from not wearing a helmet.

You are not a horrible mom. sometimes our kids wait until we are busy and go behind our backs to do what they want. Hopefully, they learn before something horrible happens.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I wish I had a answer and a way to make my son wear a helmit. It will be a long time or maybe never before hes off riding his bike a gain he was hit by a truck 2 weeks ago and has a head injury and still thinks hes too cool for a helmit. he was on life support and since he cant remember anything he can try to believe nothing happened because he thinks hes ok. Im crying im mad im going through so many emotions and all point to never letting him ride again if he doesnt think a helmit is important.

bizEmomof4

Answer by bizEmomof4 at 7:32 AM on Jan. 31, 2010