Should I feel guilty?

My DD loves her swing. She is 4 months old and she normally wakes up and then after 1-2 hours she's tired and fussy and wants to sleep. I will try to rock her or hold her or nurse her to sleep, but she wants fusses anyway and if she does fall asleep she will only sleep maybe 30 minutes and still wake up tired. She woke up at 8:00 this morning and at 9:45 I put her in the swing. She's been in there asleep ever since. Soon she'll wake up and I'll have her out again, but within another 1-2 hours I know she'll need to nap again and want back in the swing. It goes like that all day long. I feel guilty putting her in there so much, like maybe I'm not spending enough time being close with her or maybe she's not getting enough interaction. Sometimes I think I'm just being crazy, but it really does make me feel like she lives in that thing. At night we have zero problem. She co-sleeps and goes right to bed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no way!!! if your baby is fussy they will let you know of course :) We moms can find guilt in almost everything we do- don't worry about it! She isn't going to swing forever :) eventually she will get too big for the swing :) if it works, keep it up!!! :) don't be so hard on yourself! You need time too!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• LOL...reading what you just wrote feels like me talking. My daughter is the SAME way! Every morning, 1 1/2 to 2 hours after she wakes up, she's sleepy and I put her in her swing and she sleeps for about 1-2 hours, wakes up, then every 2 hours after that she gets sleepy again and back in the swing she goes for about another 1/2 hour.She also co-sleeps with us at night and sleeps all night. I feel guilty at times to, feeling like she is in her swing too much but she needs her sleep! I think we should feel more guilty if we made our babies sleep deprived.My baby is 4 months too...turning 5 months on the 14th. I guess as long as we follow our babies cues and do whats right for them then we are doing what we are supposed to do,right? In the beginning weeks I would try to lay down with my baby to get her to take her naps, they didn't last as long and I was unable to get any housework done and I felt guilty about that too,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:27 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• does she get time to wiggle around on the floor or in a playpen too if the floor isn't good cause of animals or other kids? If she gets plenty of time there then your swing time's ok I think. it's hard but sometimes parents do let their little ones your age fuss a bit in cribs oh oh also she doesn't have a crib because of co-sleep? if not then try not to swing time her until she's had time for play and also some fuss time in a playpen or safe floor away from any kind of trouble. That just lets babies kick and explore the air and toys alot plus gives them reason to learn to roll over and stuff.

Your lucky your dd sleeps so well at night, we coslept too and ours were just restless till we did crib them. I think now it was because of my husband's severe snorring disturbing their sleep.

Take care and Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• just balance her time with tummy time and laying flat on her back time and all will be well. Let the guilt go.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Oh yeah, in between she's always either sitting on my lap and "talking" to me, or laying on the couch so my son can "talk" with her, or on her kick n' play mat or in her crib playing with toys. I just don't want her to feel abandoned in the swing. She loves the swing and definitely wants to be in it, but I just feel like maybe she should be held more or something. It sounds ridiculous when I talk about it, but I think it anyway.
    Anonymous