Whats wrong with my air conditioner??

We have central AC. Last night my hubby turned it down to 70 when we went to bed and I thought it was weird when I woke up and wasn't freezing. Anyhow, the temp just crept up to 80 and it's still set to 70. I went outside and the central unit is running, but none of the vents are blowing anything! Is there something wrong with the unit? Or do you think an animal got under the house and chewed through the vents?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 11:23 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Either way, someone will have to come out to fix it. But if it was working perfectly fine before that, I'd say it is something wrong with the unit itself. If something was chewing thru the ductwork, it's more likely that you would have noticed a more gradual change, like that the vents weren't blowing as much air, or that the air wasn't quite as cold. Also, you can go out by the unit and try to look and see. If an animal chewed thru, it shouldn't be too far from the unit, if none of the vents are blowing. It would be on the main duct.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:32 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• You need to have someone come out and look at it. One time when something happened to our a/c it was because a coil or something was bad (but that time the vents were blowing, it was just hot air). One other time at our old house it was bacause there was too much stuff stuck in the unit (leaves, cotton from the cottonwood tree, etc) and they had to blow that stuff out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• ok thanks ya'll. Well I have to call my landlord about it anyways to get it fixed. Thank God we have a window unit as back-up or else I'd have to leave the house lol. I think an animal may have gotten to the main duct because I heard something under/around the house last night. But there's no way to check because we don't have any crawl spaces. We'd have to take the siding off of the house. :-( I'll just call my landlord!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2009