When my son gets upset he hits and pulls our hair

How do I stop this we spank his hand and tell him with a stern "NO".
Yet, this seems to not work. Any suggestions? I dont want this to be a problem when we put him in daycare.

Natural76

Asked by Natural76 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter did this too until she learned to talk and express her anger w. words.
    carol12171975

Answer by carol12171975 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• ive had problems with this too. and the reason why hes hitting you, with his hand, is because u are hitting his hand. hitting his hand is not going to stop him from using his hand to hit too.. i would just be firm with him and tell him that it hurts when he does that and that you understand hes fusterated but you do not hit people, find another form to say no.
    Anonymous

• Try this http://pbskids.org/dragontales/parentsteachers/activities/activity131b.html

PBSkids.org has a lot of activities to help with things like that. If you don't want to use dragon tales, you could pick a different show. Different shows have different techniques. Sometimes there are books you can read to them. He needs to learn the right way to express his anger. Look around on their site and I'm sure you'll find something that works for both of you.
    hdonohoe

Answer by hdonohoe at 2:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• If you figure anything out, let me know. My 17 mo old slaps, punches, kicks, pulls his OWN hair... (what's strange is if I tell him no, or whatever, he will go over to his brother and smack him... even when his brother had nothing to do with it). He also screams, fake-cries, the whole 9 yards. Yeah... so if anything works for you, pass it my way. Nothing works here... (and yeah, in our house, "no" is a funny word)
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 7, 2009