Do you save your bacon grease ??

My grandma is from Kentucky and she always made comfort country food . She would always save and use bacon grease in alot of her foods. I was brought up doing the same . I use the bacon grease mainly for cornbread and beans . I have about 3 containers full of grease in the fridge right now !

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 11:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• No, I like to save myself from heart attacks lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I always save it and use it for everything. My favorite though is chunked fried potatoes.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My grandma used to. I don't make bacon anymore so I obviously don't keep it. Of course my hypertension and high cholesterol don't go well with grease of any sort.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I was raised the same way as you. Bacon grease was saved and used to fry in or flavor many other dishes...from green beans to cornbread to frying potatoes and eggs. Some years ago my family made a 'change'. It is verty hard for the rest of the family to understand but we fry almost nothing anymore. We don't even eat bacon much ess save the grease now. Bake, grill and broil are now preferred. We try hard to watch our cholesterol and fat intake. It is really hard to do. Sunday I was staring at a huge pot of Moms chicken and daumplings...I wanted to eat it sooooooooooooooo badly. I compromised and literally took a dry measuring cup and at 3/4 of a cup. It was hard to walk away.
    If you are contumuing to save bacon grease..one container is plenty. save the newest and let the others go.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• No! Gross!
    Anonymous

• I live in Kentucky and we save our bacon grease and use it to cook with. Like canned green beans- if you use a little bit of bacon grease when you cook them they taste better. We also use bacon grease when we fry things, like eggs or pancakes and stuff.
    theosgirl45

Answer by theosgirl45 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• well I don't eat bacon alot but I occassionally save the grease. However I use mine to sprinkle on our dogs food when they are recovering from ilness and don't want to eat.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• The morningstar bacon doesn't have any grease

Answer by rkoloms at 7:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I have a small fryer that I pour the bacon grease in and use it only when I am frying potatoes or french fries in there.
    Anonymous

• thats cause morning star isnt real bacon. Its soy!
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2009