Can I substitute semi-sweet chocolate chips for baking cocoa?

I started making a cake today and realized that I am completely out of baking cocoa! Can I use semi-sweet chocolate chips instead? The recipe calls for 1/3 cup cocoa. If I can use these instead, how much would I need?

mommy_of_isaiah

Asked by mommy_of_isaiah at 11:52 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• sure you can, just use a mallet or some other utensil to crush them, preferably in a ziploc bag so the mess is minimalized. your cake might be more sweet than you expect however, because baking cocoa doesn't have the sugar content of semi-sweet chips. also, make sure the chips are really crushed or the consistency might be off a bit.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 11:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I would say no. (no disrespect intended toward mellypoo- just a different opinion. ) You need a flour-like consistency such as cocoa has, and mashed chocolate chips just won't have it. They have pectin or some other waxy ingredient. I was trying to think if you could melt them and add them with the liquids, but even this might not work. Although I think I'd try this before mashing them. For the frosting, yes, but for the cake itself, no. Although, if it is a cake that could do without chocolate at all, then you could leave the chocolate out (obviously) or toss the chips in for fun. I make chocolate chip cake all the time using a yellow cake mix.

Answer by Bmat at 12:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• You can use chocolate chips if you melt them first. Melt them using the double-boiler method over low heat and stir constantly to prevent burning. Once melted, mix it into the wet ingredients before adding dry ingredients.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 9:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2009