how old before baby can sleep with blanket?

My baby girl is 8 months and she is now just starting to sleep alone in her crib. I'm afraid that she maybe cold. I put long warm footy pj's on her but when can she start sleeping with a blanket? I have the rainforest bed sheets and the small comforter blanket that came with it but when can she actually use it?

Caper

Asked by Caper at 11:57 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids always had blankets of some sort and they were in their cribs as newborns. Both my kids had attachments to their "kikis" by 8 months
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My DD is a year. I still use the knitted baby blanket with all the holes because she rolls around and gets tangled.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• ive always used blanckets.. my 11 month old sleeps with 3 blankets and 4 animals...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Mine had blankets from the day they were born.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• you can do blankets..I always have. It's more of a common sense thing like don't pile 40 stuffed animals or like 3 blankets in there. For the temp thing remember they are human too! people seem to over dress or cover babies/children "thinking they must be cold". Her Pj's sound warm enough unless your house is super cold that should be plenty for her, just remember if she was upset too cold too hot she would let you know :)
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My 4 month old is already attached to her blanket. She can't sleep without it or her army baby.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• This may be going overboard, but I recently read in I think it was Parents Mag that they are now recommending holding off on blankets in the crib altogether. Their recommendation was to layer your child to sleep and not use blankets until a child transitions to a bed. We don't put a blanket in our son's bed because it's warm here in the summer, even with AC we try to keep it at a normal room temp. And this winter, we'll have the heat on so i don't see a huge need for blankets then.

Answer by missanc at 8:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I wrap a very light blanket over my DD's legs. She's never gotten her face or head tangled. She just kicks it off her. I don't put it around her arms. tho. She's 4 mos.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• If you're worried about your baby being cold, use a SleepSack wearable blanket. Halo makes them in large sizes so you can continue using them even when your child is a toddler. Wearable blankets are always preferable to loose blankets even when your baby is older.
    ksams

Answer by ksams at 11:53 AM on Aug. 10, 2009