Your credit score will be affected by your history of merchandise returns/exchanges. Do you believe this?

If this is the case I will not use my credit card anymore!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I guess its always possible, but I dont use credit cards anyway. I pay cash for just about everything or use my debit card. Heres the deal about credit. Anyone at anytime can report anything to your credit report or the reporting agencies. It doesnt matter if its legit or not. Anyone whose ever had something bogus on your report knows this all too well and how much a pain in the butt it is to have to work to get it off there. You have to keep up with it, have it checked frequently and fight for the things that are not right. That being said, it wouldnt surprise me if consumerism went to the next level by reporting a persons return/ echange behaviors. I think that the new trend in the cash system is a good thing. There are people who make lifestyles out of returning things. I try hard not to, but if it breaks or isnt what I wanted, its going back. I keep receipts too. ANything is possible.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I find it hard to believe. There are so many reasons to return or exchange something, some or even most of which are not your fault (Xmas gift that someone bought too small or big or you already have, etc.), you'd be getting penalized for what someone else did/does. Although, on the other hand, it could help a lot of people who tend to impulse buy, and then return when they regret it. I don't know...I don't think they should do it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I doubt it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• There are people who make lifestyles out of returning things.

Yep!
    Not to be lousy but the other day I was at Old Navy waiting for my turn at the register. A couple were at the register taking so much time returning items the total of return was about $200.00. I know because these people were speaking Spanish. But surprise me is that the shoes, and sandals look dirty and the sales representative still went ahead and honor the return.
    People can get away with everything these days.
    Anonymous

• serial exchangers?
    bringin

Answer by bringin at 12:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I can't imagine that just making a return with a receipt once in a while would damage your credit. I bet there are people who expect to return all the and if you have no receipt, thestore gets suspicious and if it happens too often, it looks bad.Now THAT could be a problem. But under ordinary circumstances? nope,no problem.
    Anonymous

• Is there a link to this? Or did you get it in an email?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Nope, I don't believe it will ruin your credit score. I DO know that many stores are cracking down on serial returners and not letting them return stuff anymore.

Some woman posted here instead of trying clothes on in the store, she would just buy it all on the store credit card, take it home, and then return what didn't fit. Her store said she had too many returns and wouldn't let her do it anymore.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I cancelled the 2 I had when they tried to raise my interest rate by 5%. I don't use them anymore . I think it's all a good thing really since more people need to be saving and using only cash rather than going in debt with CCs
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2009