adhd help

how do you control your kids with adhd? my oldest son just wont stop and i dont know what to do. please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• What are some specifics? Or he is like my son where it's just so many things, big and little, all day long that its hard to pin point something specific? How old is he? Is he on medication?
    I know I try to keep my son involved in as many active things as I can. I guess just in hopes that he will be able to focus on the activity and then maybe be tired afterwards. Skateboarding seems to be the only thing that's kept his interest for any extended amount of time.
    jill.a.k.a.mom

Answer by jill.a.k.a.mom at 12:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• he is 13 and its just so many things more of bothering and being mean to his little brother who is 5 and his sister who is 11. no matter how much i yell and take the game away he doesnt stop (he gets worse) and yes he is on meds. he is on adderal 30mg. i hate taking him to the store with me cuz i get nothing but looks from people cuz i cant control my kids. well my older 2 have adhd.
    gosh sometimes i just want to scream at people stop staring mind your buisness. its embarrassing. i grounded him from the video games for a month cuz he just would not stop at all at this store this am, no matter what i said or did he wouldnt stop. i warned him 2 days ago if he didnt stop he would be ground for the month. i just feel like im wrong cuz i know he in a way cant help it. i just dont know what else to do to get them to listen and be nice.
    Anonymous

• Take him off the drugs first. Next, take him to a good chiropractor and take all the sugar, artificial colors, flavors and preservatives out of his diet, including high fructose corn syrup.
    Anonymous

• Your son needs to go back to his doctor. His medication is NOT WORKING. My son is the same age and the only time he acts up now is if he don't take the medication. Something is wrong, take him to the doctor.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Anon some kids need the medication, mine being one of them. You should not tell someone to take their kid off the meds. Are you a licenced doctor? geesh..
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• thanks. i will talk to his dr. he has an appointment comming up and i am also looking for a new dr and therapist. its hard finding the right drs. i know mine are ones that need the meds to help. i did stop sugar and colors and stuff its not easy. im still learning more about the foods and all but its hard to take them completely off the foods when this crap is in everything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective

Answer by rkoloms at 8:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• thank you rkoloms. i will check the book out and look into the fish oils.
    Anonymous