Do i have to nurse every 2 hours to keep my supply up or can i nurse on babys demand and still have a good milk supply?

My son is one week old now and i have been nursing him every 2 hours because i lost my milk supply with my first son after 2 weeks. The reason im wondering if i have to nurse every 2 hours to keep my supply up is because he is very hard to wake up and keep awake. If i just let him sleep and wake on his own he eats sooo much better but i dont want to lose my supply. During the night i dont wake him at all and he wakes on his own every 2 - 4 hours. Any help is very greatful thanks!!

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I nursed my second and third on demand and never had supply issues from that. Your body will adjust to how often and how much your baby eats.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I nursed all of mine on demand and didn't have a problem

Answer by admckenzie at 12:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I nursed all three of my boys on demand and never had supply issues. Make sure you drink plenty of water.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I should add, that if you are worried you can add a pumping session in there if he sleeps more than three hours. Then you will have some stored in the freezer to feed him after your supply is established.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Why on earth would you wake a baby? They know when they are hungry and they know when they are sleepy.

Feed on demand.
    Anonymous

• Nurse on demand. Your body will adapt to his needs.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I want to add a caution to the nurse on demand. Yes, definitely nurse on demand, BUT make sure the baby is nursing between 8-12 times in a 24 hour period, AND that he has 6-8 wet and / or poopy diapers a day. A 4-5 hour stretch at night is fine. Some babies are sleepier than normal, and will not eat enough, which leads to them being weaker and not wanting to eat. As long as the diaper count is good, and there are 8 nursings in a 24 hour period, you're fine.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• nursing on demand is the best way to nurse and the best way to keep your supply up withought supplements
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 1:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• *make sure that you are offering at least once an hour too to keep it up ;)
    rozepyle

• at one week old you should be waking him up. after he's a few weeks old go to on demad as long as you aren't having any weight gaining issues. this is a key point in your milk supply, and best to keep it going - plus newborns can have a tendency to sleep too much and not get enough to eat if left to their own devices.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 1:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2009