he wants to be a girl!

This is not my situation, but if your DS came home and from school, say 8 years old, and said they wanted to be a girl. They wanted to dress like a girl, be called a girl name ect...what would you do? What if they told you they were gay, and had a boyfriend at say...14. How would you react? What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Wasn't this same exact question asked yesterday?? If it's not your situation then why do you care??
    Anonymous

• I think the only thing my son could do that would shock and upset me would be if he killed some one... on purpose. At which point I would turn him in... because I love him and he would obviously need serious help.

Gay/transgendered? Barely a crack in the cement on the road of life. I'll put him in a dress with high heels and call the boy Brenda if he so desires. ~shrug~
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 12:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• If my 8 year old suddenly told me he wanted to be a girl I wouldn't do anything. At that age they don't know they go back and forth. I wanted to marry my sister when I was 7. She was my best friend told my mom I would become a boy so we could marry. I am sure with the wrong parents I would have ended up with a sex change. Thankfully my mom had the common sense to see I really did not want to be a boy just loved my sister and we both were best friends and wanted to always be together. We are adults both happily married to men and are still very close.

If my son told me he was gay I would feel sad for his choice but would love him. I am not going to love all the choices he make for himself and don't have to agree with him. I will always love him.
    Anonymous

• I have a cousin who always wanted to wear my Moms makeup. He always wanted to dress up and have tea parties and such. When he was around 14 he was real big into decorating everyones house. I remember at xmas time we were at my Grandmas house and he said "you know grandma this couch would look so much better over here" lol... He dated girls, but never for long. He came out when he was 16 or 17 years old. Everyone was fine with it for the most part. My Grandpa who is very old fashioned still doesnt know, and isnt allowed to know because we're not sure how he would react(although im sure he can tell). My Cousin is now 26 and happy. I think it is a hard thing to go through, but with the support of your family its easier.. for both family and child.
    Anonymous

• kids just want to experience new things. I'd just say "ok dear" and let them pursue whatever they wanted. They will probably want to be something else in a few weeks. As for the gay thing, my grandson thought he was...then decided he wasn't. I told him to just be himself and we'd love him no matter what.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My 9 year old told me that.I stayed calm and asked him why..he said because girls don't have to fight.This led to a conversation about what was really bothering him..kids were picking on him at school and he didn't know how to handle it.BUT...a few weeks later,he saw that Adam Lambert guy on AMerican Idol had his fingernails painted black, so my son wanted black nails.No big deal..I choose to pick my battles with my son, nail polish is easily removable.Well, we couldn't find black paint, so he chose..PINK!?!?! lol. Okay, sucked in my breath... and said ok.I want him to feel free to express himself.I explained that some of the kids might tease him about this,he said he didn't care,well thats all that matters to me.The nail polish phase has passed(yay).But I don't think we as parents should supress our children and "make" them be what we want, but gently guide them to make the best choices for themselves and to feel confident.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My son loves to wear mommies purse and put on mommies lipstick and wear mommies high heels and tells me all the time "when i get bigger and i'm a girl such and such is going to happen"... i just say ok sweetie and move on... If he came home at 14 and said he was gay I'd say ok sweetie, and move on. I agree with mythic about the only thing my son could do that would make me disrespect him and greatly hurt me would be to kill someone else on purpose. I think at that point I would still love him, he's my son, but I would no longer have any respect for him, and I probably wouldn't be able to ever again stand by his side. Short of that, he can choose to date and marry whomever he wants, as long as he treats that partner with love, respect, and dignity.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2009