Would you date someone who said they were getting divorced?

In light of the Steve McNair tradgedy I am wondering how many women would date someone who said they were getting divorced. It seems like men use this as an excuse to be married and have an affair. There are also those women who blindly believe that the person she loves would not lie to her or use her.

Have you or would you date someone who claimed they were getting divorced? How did it turn out for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• No I would not. He would have to get his life together first. I don't need any added drama. I try to live a pretty drama free life.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I had just left my husband and a week and a half later I met my fionce...he stayed w me knowing that I was filing and going to be in the middle of a divorce. I think that everyones situation is different though. Me and my fionce have been happily together for 2yrs now...best choice I ever made and he feels the same way.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Yes I would and I have.

MY fiance was waiting on a state divorce law before he could file for divorce. He had to be a resident for one year before he could file..

I too was waiting on a court date for my divorce..

I think it is possible to date someone who says that they are getting divorce...

that someone has to be sincere and true to their word.

You can read the signs if that someone is not being honest anyway...

Anything is possible as long as it is with the right person.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I dated a man who said he was a widower and turned out he was married. Then said he was getting a divorce. I have since learned to ask to see his divorce papers. Even if he "just filed" he should have a a copy of something. You can also go online to the courthouse website and see if the case has been filed. It is public record.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Relatoinships have too much drama... don't need to add to it. So no, I wouldn't.

My father is technially married to my mother, and has a girlfriend. They're working out the settlement, but all this time his girlfriend has been waiting in the background for the divorce to be final. Even though she chose to get into this, I can't help feeling sorry for her.
    Anonymous

• Nope i wouldnt do it. Unless the papers have already been filed then no. I saw my mom get hurt by some guy saying that to her way to many times. So thats why i wont do it. But there are people up ther that im glad things worked out better for you then it did for my mom.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• As a general rule, no I would not. My ex cheated on me time and again, and I know that at least once he pulled the "But we're getting divorced" line on the girl he cheated with. Having been the wife sitting at home, I would never want to do that to someone else, so I avoid men who say they are separated or getting divorced. If I really, really liked the guy, I suppose if he could show me proof that he really was getting divorced (the initial paperwork filed, an order to appear for a hearing for it, etc.), then yeah, I might be willing to date him.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My fiance was legally separated and going through the steps of getting divorced at the time I met him. It took about 15 months for the divorce to be complete. But he followed through on everything he claimed from the moment we met.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 2:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2009