Kinda off topic

Does anyone know how a 4 and a half year old and a 3 and a half year old could volunteer somewhere? I wouldnt mind taking them down to my local Mission (homeless shelter) or Salvation Army. But i dont really know what they'd be able to help with, if anything. ...I'd like to start teaching them compassion for others and all that jazz as well as get them invovled in the community.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 1:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree that they are too young. If they are confronted with truly sad situations, their only option is to feel overwhelmed and un-confident in the goodness of the world.

To fare forth in the world and be giving requires self-sufficiency and the confidence to NOT be needy. Let them be surrounded by how beautiful and good the world is for their first 6 or 7 years.

They learn compassion EVERY DAY from the adults around them, from whether they experience compassion and see it in adults' dealings with each other, with animals.

Once they're like 5 or 6, LibbyLife's idea about making holiday cards to send to the elderly is great ... also cards to the troops. It is important to personalize their experience - to send to someone whose story they know, as if it were a family member.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I have an idea maybe they can go visit an orphan or the kids in the hospital you can teavh them how to help others is problems, they can draw for those kids or make toys for them or even baked cookies with you and take them over all those kids or also they can give the toysthey don`t use anyore or buy new ones.
    Just ideas coming out of my head.
    What do you think?
    Vero529

Answer by Vero529 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• try calling your local homeless shelter, food banks or soup kitchens, and see what they offer for supervised child volunteers or family-team volunteering.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 1:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• THEY ARE TOO YOUNG, BUT IF COMPASSION IS WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO LEARN WHY NOT TELL THEM TO PICK OUT THE TOYS THEY DON'T PLAY WITH ANYMORE AS WELL AS SOME CLOTHES AND FIND A DESERVING KIDS TO DONATE THEM TOO. YOU CAN TAKE THEM WITH YOU AND HAVE THEM GIVE THEIR THINGS AWAY, EXPLAINNG THAT THESE KIDS DON'T HAVE AS MUCH AS THEY DO.

Answer by older at 1:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• They could probably help out just fine in one of those settings with little things. Right now, as an introduction to charity etc. with my kids, we go through their toys and clothes every few months and donate the ones they don't play with or the things that don't fit them. I explain to them why we are doing it, for kids who don't have as much as they do and to help others out, and they help me pack them up and go with me to deliver them. Once they are a little older I'll probably bring them to help out at our Church's food cupboard and things like that.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 1:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• how about having them go through all their toys, and maybe giving a few away to some needy children. Either in a children's hospital, or orphanage or both.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• or you can take them to the store, and pick up some brand new toys for them to give to people in need.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• You could also talk to a local hospital about them coming in to play with some of the other kids. I am sure they would love having the company. Or call a local nursing home and see if there is anyway they could come in and read to one of the patients or help a patient clean thier room.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Visiting a nursing home is a good idea -- ask the director if there is a patient who doesn't have any grandkids -- maybe your kids could "adopt" the patient. They could make holiday cards for them, sing songs for them, etc.
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 3:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I like the nursing home idea. Beyond that, I do think they are too young to really volunteer. My kids are 7 and 4 and today they're picking out toys to give to children without toys. That's what we do whenever I want to thin the closets out.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2009