Financial aid? HA HA

Why is it if you are poor the gov't will hand you money to go to college but if your parent works and makes a mere $30K you can not get a loan to go to college? This happend to a girl I know, she was going to U of L carried a 3.0 GPA and when she went back to sign up for her next semester there was no financial aid for her. BUT I know another girl that has parents that WON"T work and guess what! She got a full ride to go to college. Talk about Bullcrap!

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 1:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• She's exaggerating. Either her parents make more, she filled out her forms wrong, or she got some aid and is complaining that it wasn't a full ride. If her parents truly only make $30k, she would qualify for loans and a Pell grant.
    Anonymous

• No, I work with her mother, I know what she makes, it may be closer to $35k then $30k. She was denied loans, she had to drop out of U of L and go to a simple community college,because she could afford to pay cash there to go.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• oh yeah I had the same problem. If your parents are poor, or if you become a teen mom, or even just a single mom you get thousands of dollars for college. I'm not saying this is wrong at all I think it is wonderful that the USA has programs like this out there, BUT if your parents make over 30 a year...... have fun paying that tuition on your own!!!! Its not fair but thern again life isn't either.....
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• ANYONE CAN GET FINANCIAL AID REGARDLESS, IT COULD BE A LOAN, (AND WE KNOW LENDERS LIKE THESE) OR A GRANT, ACCORDING TO THEIR FINANCIAL NEED. I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYONE TURN DOWN FOR A LOAN FOR SCHOOL.

Answer by older at 1:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I think that it is sad that until your 24 yrs of age or a parent that your parent's income count when calculating what one gets for school. I couldn't get any funding bc they took my income on top of my mothers-and I got nothing. I also wasn't eligible for anything when I tried to see about reapplying and my mother withheld her w2s. Even if you don't live in their house, this is the way that it is calculated.

She should have qualified for some sort of student loans-I am going to assume that it wasn't enought to cover the bill.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I thought it was rather nuts. The girls is 18 and they did take her mothers income. As I said it was a mere $30-$35k. She was denied a loan, not due to credit either. She also went to the bank to obtain a bank laon and was denied. Sadly she was in school to become a dentist.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• That makes no sense. Stafford Loans are guaranteed and her parents should qualify for PLUS loans and if she's that broke she should be getting a Pell. And with that GPA she should have gotten at least some scholarship offers.

I'm dirt poor and the government didn't "hand" me anything. I got scholarships, grants and loans to cover the cost of my tuition. Maybe your friend should research and look for funds a bit harder.
    Anonymous

• What kind of loan are you talking about? I'm just curious because I think anyone can get an Stafford loan (either subsidized based on need or unsubsidized). My dh made 50K and I was able to get an unsubsidized Stafford loan to go back to school. However there may be only a certain amount available. When I was in college originally I couldn't get a loan because Iived at home, but my parents were able to get a PLUS loan for my education. It takes some effort but usually you can get at least some kind of help. With all financial aid there is a limit. You have a certain dollar amount and if you don't finish school by then... well you're on your own.

Anonymous

• I thought anyone could get a Stafford Loan as well. She was told there were no funds for her to get a loan. Normally I would think someone was full of poop but I know them well enough to know they would not lie about it. I just was curious if anyone has had this happen lately.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• She isn't telling you the full story-she was given some sort of loan package. It probably wasn't enough to pay the full tuition. They calculate an expected family contribution. Was her father's income included on the FASFA form? If so, that might have sent them above not qualifying.

Stafford loans-subsidized-based on need for education and unsubsidized-requested additional funding by the student-are eligible to all students. Now, if it wasn't enough to go to a university-then yeah-she would have to go to a different school. But to be outright DENIED as you say with 30 grand a year-you're not getting the full story.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2009