sleep schedule out of wack

Help my daughters sleep schedule is out of wack she used to go to bed at 9 now she won't go to bed until 12 or 1 and I don't give her naps. What can I do to get things back to normal? I try putting her in bed with the lights out but she gets up and plays in the dark. What can I do any advice would help

aubrees_mommie

Asked by aubrees_mommie at 1:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when my dd's schedual gets mixed up like that...when she goes to bed at 12-1am, i get her up early the next day and try to go for a long ride in the early afternoon so she takes a short nap and then that night do a bath at 8:30 and put jammies on and lay down with her and watch t.v. so she dont think im trying to make her go to sleep and she will konk out at about 9 and were back on track. good luck.
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• You need to watch her closely and get her into bed before she is too tired. If she is yawning, it's too late. If she is under 2.5 years and seems tired in the early afternoon, bring back the nap. Even if it's just a quiet time when she lays in bed and quietly plays. Overtired toddlers have a harder time falling asleep... this is based on simple biology, not some "wear them out some they'll sleep better" old wives tale.

Watch her closely tonight starting about 5. Look for signs of being ready to sleep: yawning, rubbing eyes, tugging on ears, even a sudden quiet lull in her play. Shortly after that, you'll get the signs that you missed her sleep window: running around full of energy, grouchy, whiny, a ping-pong ball effect. Chart it for a few days and aim to get her into bed, lights out, at least 1/2 hour before the overtired phase starts.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2009