he wont sleep at night...advice needed

My son will be 12 months on sat. he usually takes an hour nap in the morning, a 1.5 - 2 hour nap in the afternoon. then he usually goes to bed at 8 and wakes up at 7. for the last couple dayse he has been taking 2 1 hour naps and he will not go to bed till 11ish then he will still wake up at 7 but cranky and refusing to go back down. I have a bed time routine set. @ 630 me and my sister put him in the stroller and go for about a 30 min walk. after the walk we sit out side for about 10min then I give him a bath and let him play for about 30 min. we then go to my moms room to wake her up (she works third shift)and sit back there til 8 and let him calm play. I then take him back to his and my room, and give him a boob. Then I kiss him good night put him in his crib then leave. then in about an hour he is screaming. Then he wants to play till 11 n wakes up twice @ night then is up @ 7 to play

8firsttimemom8

Asked by 8firsttimemom8 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I disagree with the first anoymous post. Babies drop the second nap sometime before 18 months. He may very well still need it and letting him get overtired so he'll sleep better is an old-wives-tale that does not work.

At a guess, I'd say he's overtired. The shorter naps in the daytime aren't filling his sleep needs. By the time his rigid, by-the-clock bedtime comes around, he's exhausted and simply can not sleep. Overtied young children are flooded with adrenaline - the same chemical that floods your system in a car wreck. Think about it, your car has just come to a stop, you know you are ok but you start crying from the stress... now try to curl up and sleep while waiting for the cops. He's a bundle of nervous, chemical driven energy. He can't relax enough to sleep, he wakes easily in the night, and he probably wakes earlier in the morning... all classic signs of being overtired.

Watch him, not the clock.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• He should not be taking two naps period. If he is up at seven am. I would put him down for his nap around 1130 -12. At that point let him sleep for however long. Try to keep him more active during the morning ,such as a routine. Breakfast, color time, lunch etc. then his favorite cartoon to watch that is on the same time everyday so he knows after that cartoon its nap time.After nap start off with a snack. Now its time to keep him more active. Instead of putting him at the stroller for your nightly walk let him waddle some enery out...even if he can only keep up for 5-10 min. Allow him to relieve all his enery. Children have more enery then you think. Even if you cant let him out of the stroller for your walk when you get home take him for a little stroll around the block. Then get him settled down with a routine bath, book and bed. He should get back on track if you set a good daily routine for him.
    Anonymous

• When he starts screaming, go in and check on him to make sure he's ok then remind him that its bedtime, tuck him in and leave the room. When my daughter was that age she had this music player that lights up and attaches to the crib like a mobile. When she'd wake up in the middle of the night she'd play with that for a little while then go back to sleep. So you could try something like that if he justs wants to play. My daughter has learned to play by herself in her bed, she even gets mad at me sometimes when I try to take her out of her bed because she's having fun playing.
    hdonohoe

Answer by hdonohoe at 2:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2009