Has your family suffered a job loss due to the enconomy?

I know so many people that have lost their jobs. My husband did recieve a good package but they done away with 150 jobs at his employer. ALL factories in my community have took a massive hit. Is anyone else affected by this?

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 1:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. My DH was in construction. He has not been able to find full time work in over a year. ITs horrible. I work full time, but am taking a 3.5% pay cut along with 5 furlough days out of each paycheck.
    Anonymous

• My brother owns a company that builds multi million dollar log homes in Jackson Wyoming. Even the filthy rich are not building right now. He and other companies in the area that do the same things are all out of work. These are homes that typically take two yrs to build.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My dh lost his in Nov 2007 and started his own business (right as the recession started). It's been tough, but this is his second year so things are a bit better. I lost a job in spring of '08 and got another only to lose it in Nov of '08 due to budget shortfalls. So I used unemployment benes for a while and now I am trying to work on my own too.

Anonymous

• Every household in our family has had one or both parents lose a job, along with just about everyone else we know. About the only people I know with job security are the nieces and nephews who started working McDonald's in high school. They're all sticking with it even though they've graduated just because they have relative job security (they're in the safe spot where they know enough to train newbies but don't make too much to be a drain)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• On my husbands side no one has lost jobs. Most are dentists, doctors, attorneys or like my husband executives at companies that are solid. On my side most have lost jobs. My sisters husband lost his they are near the end of unemployment. They are morons and have spent like they normally do and have no savings. He was making 80k a year at a plant and they blew every dime he made. They asked me for money I had to turn them down I offered to buy groceries or pay the utilities they just want the money. My brother in law lost his job at Cessna last week. He is laid off until who knows when. They will be fine they paid their house off last year and have always been savers. They like us have 5 years worth of expenses put back along with retirement plans. My dad, brother, sister, cousin, aunt, uncle, niece and grandparents all work for the airline industry all are laid off. Some were smart with money others not so much.
    Anonymous

• Yes, my husband just recently lost his job. I'm a full time student/stay at home mom/ plus own my own business that is struggling because of the economy. I'm very worried about how we are going to make it.
    lilmom0417

Answer by lilmom0417 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Yes, dh was a victim of the first round of auto layoffs. At the time, I felt like the world was ending, but it turned out to be the best thing. If it had been later, he wouldn't have been able to find something else.

My sil has been laid off for ages. She's sucking up unemployment, not even looking for a job, and is on vacay right now. She's so sure the temp agencies will have something for her when she gets back. Must be nice to have your head buried under a rock.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My husband and I both lost our jobs, and our daughter was let go two weeks ago. My cousin was just laid off a few months ago from Freightliner, and his sister's husband will soon be laid off when Phillip Morris shuts down this year. The rest of my family is either retired or dead. It seems our 17-year-old son is the only one working.
    ajeffery1032

Answer by ajeffery1032 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Anon :04, your dh's side of the family is lucky. Sadly some of those "secure" jobs are being lost as well. Not healthcare, but some of the other white collar jobs. My dh lost his job as a controller in 2007. Fortunately everyone needs their taxes done at some point so having his CPA licence helped him start his business. Otherwise idk what he would have done. He probably would have had to take a huge pay cut and still wonder about his job security with another company. But with being self employed we've taken a cut in salary, but we've also gained the flexibility of working on our own so it was a good thing he got laid off.

Anonymous

• My husband didn't lose his job but he did lose about $25,000 a year in OT. It's hurting us big time and we can't get unemployment for that. The stimulus isn't working because it was all a lie. There are no shovel ready projects and only 10% of the money has been used. What is the problem? Why can't they get it out. Why should we continue to wait? There is really no excuse for this. Worse yet is, I hear more and more about another stimulus. Thats just crazy.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2009