What will you do?

"What is probably the oldest known Bible is being digitised, reuniting its scattered parts for the first time since its discovery 160 years ago. It is markedly different from its modern equivalent. What's left out?"

When the official original and unaltered bible is available for all to see for free, how will you handle the discrepancies between that document and the one you use now?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7651105.stm

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• "PTmom.... where's His Love"

"Sorry, but I just say it like it is. I don't like sugar coating anything. "

--- I generally don't like to get involved. But I since you don't like to sugar coat anything, I won't either. Without love, ptomom, you are just a clanging symbol.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• the same way I handle the discrepancies now. lol.. take it with a grain of salt. I'm not going to lie, there is history to be found in the bible, among some really great morals.. however there are also stories that were passed down verbal until later they were written, as well as some stories about things that do NOT help moral.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• a great post btw op.
    xxhazeldovexx

• the great thing about having unwavering faith is a translation difference is not going to bother me. I never took each word to be literal anyways. I look at the lessons and morals and understand humans are fallible. I also don't believe in solo scripture.

To answer the question what will I do? Probably nothing. Why would I? I studied, I prayed I researched and I made a conscience, informed and educated decision to remain Catholic in my 20s. Why would one BBC article change my mind?

If there are two additional books this bible IS NOT the one approved by the Church anyways so what makes THIS bible better than the other ones? I am comfortable enough in my faith to be able to read and get lessons out of the bible without freaking out over translations. Lets take the parable of the man who wasn't dressed in wedding clothes and the king ordered him to be put to death. (cont)
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 1:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• did Jesus mean if we don't show up dressed properly we should kill the other person? No, of course not, that is just silly. Jesus gave us a story that said always be prepared. I don't care how you twist that parable, translate the parable or mix it up, the LESSON remains stay prepared

Lets take a story in Acts there are two people(sorry forgot their names but they begin with the letter A) they sold their farm and gave a portion to the church. Each said this was ALL they received and they died once saying their lie. Did this happen? Did they really die? Who knows, the lesson still remains don't take credit for something you did not do. Again you can find proof it never got sold or even that they didn't own a farm. Does that change the fact that you shouldn't take credit for something you didn't do? No it doesn't so why should another translation of this story rock my faith?

(cont) I keep running out of room!
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 2:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I do have some questions about this supposed bible. It says it has been in a monastery since at least the 4th century. Well that is the same time the council finished approving the bible while guided by the Holy Spirit. Did I miss the actual year this bible was put together? I really don't care if there is proof that God, Himself wrote this version. In the end, according to the article, "...many of the other alterations and differences are minor, ..."
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 2:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• the great thing about having unwavering faith is a translation difference is not going to bother me.

I could not agree with this statement more! And, since I have that unwavering faith, I serioulsy doubt one Bible,that's been "hidden" all these years is going to change anything. So,anything else you'd like to talk about?
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Ananias and Sapphira and I take that as literal not just parable.. that was an actual story that happened and they really did die... they lacked the Fear of the Lord ( meaning revere , honor and respect) They chose to sin and therefore that is consequence for sin ... thats the meaning for me..

OP.... no nothing that article or the bible in its originality will deter me from my beloved Lord. His LOVE is good enough for me and He IS real.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• OP it is not new especially if you read the word of God. You need t take some time and read the epistles. Paul had to deal with on more than one occasion false Gospels. When the First church started grown in Rome and Greece many pagans took this opportunity to mix their false religions in with Christianity and creating their own version. Paul repeatedly had to come and reiterate that there is only one Gospel and that is of our Lord and RISEN Savior Jesus Christ.
    BTW you also must understand that the first church did not consists of a monastory or catholic priests, nuns. The first church began in Acts Chapter 1:8 after the Holy Ghost fell.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2009