conjunctivitis or blocked tear duct?

emma is 3 weeks old and has an older sister who will be 3 the 21st. woke up yesterday morning with almost florescent yellow gooeyness in left eye. was wiping it all day with a warm wet cottonball and washing my hands. called on call pedi office they said if gets really swollen take her to e.r. if not make sick visit to office. this am when we got up her eye was all crusty. dropped off oldest at day care and went today during walk in clinic this morning met with one of my not so fav mds and he thinks may be just a clogged tear duct. but i am skeptical. what do you think?

MissLivsMom

Asked by MissLivsMom at 1:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm sure that that's exactly what it is. But to be on the safe side keep wiping it clean, wash your hands and go around the house and sterilize things like doorknobs an handles (things that are touched frequently). But truthfully at this age a clogged duct is very common.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 1:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My oldest son had a clogged tear duct when he was about a month and a half. The doctor showed me how to massage it several times a day to try and open it up. He outgrew it by the time he was 6 months old.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• pinkeye turns the white of your eye-red. I had it before and it was blood red and gross. Yes it can be crusty but that depends on which type you have. It burns, vision get blurry, stings and hurts like crazy. And it can be contagious.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My son had a blocked tear duct for about five months. There was never yellow gooey stuff. His eye just teared all the time and it looked like he'd been crying. After he'd been sleeping, there was white crust in the inside corner from the salt in his tears (like my mom always said the sandman brings while you're sleeping, lol).

From what you're describing it sounds more serious to me and I'd get a second opinion. I hope your little one is better soon and you get a better MD.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 1:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My doctor said to look at the whites of the eye. If they are bloodshot and red it is probably pink eye. But if the eye itself is clear and white, then it could be allergies or a clogged tear duct. My daughter has had pink eye several times. She gets the gunky eye when she gets an ear infection. THere are drops for it if it's bacteria pink eye. If it's viral, it'll ago away in a week or so either is highly contagious. Allergies and clogged ducts are not contagious at all. So my advice would be to carefully spect the eye. If you think it's pinkeye, get someone else to look at it. If your child is like mine, it could mean there's an infect elsewhere. If the eye looks fine, just use warm compresses to help your child feel better.
    Anonymous

• my daughter had this at 10days old. first the nurse told me to do a saline solution. 1/4 tsp salt to one cup water. then boil water and let it cool and whip eye with cotton ball. then we did this and it went away and then came back so i took her to the dr. we have drops. its still there for almost 4 months now. but its just that. i believe its a clog tear duct. her new dr i go to him late july so i will bring this up because its just a pain to keep doing. but they usually grow out it. someone told me it can take as long as a year. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2009