how to conquer my 4yrs fear of swimming pool

she loves the baby pool just when we get into the big pool she flips out ! what do we do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Will she get in it at all, even in your arms? I would try getting in with her in your arms (or have her handed into your arms when you are in) and just hold her. Stay where it's shallow or hold her where only her legs are in the water, and hold her firmly so she has no doubt that you won't let her go. I'd keep doing that and just work up to having more and more of her body in the water. Then gradually, over time, as she gets more and more used to it, then I'd try giving her a little freedom, putting her in a float, whatever. Oh, and make sure you have the little floater arms or something, and remind her that even if something happened, those will keep her above the water. Hope that helps a little.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• the little floater arms should have read *the little floaties on her arms* My keyboard didn't cooperate. Sorry.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My son was afraid for the longest time, because he could not touch the bottom.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Now he jumps off of the deep end.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Get a floaty vest - not just the arm floats. A floaty vest lets her move her arms and legs freely. If the vest isn't enough by itself to hold her up, add arm floats. I have this one and really like it...
    http://www.swimways.com/teachmetoswim/step-3.asp

Let her play on the steps as much as she wants. Don't force her to leave the steps but offer to hold her close if she wants to come with you. Give her all sorts of toys to play with on the steps, mostly ones that sink so they don't float away from her. As an added benefit, she may start putting her face in the water to get them if the fall on a deeper step.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2009