Why do people expect me to be huge???

I am 10 weeks pregnant and started telling people 2 weeks ago. For the 4th my husband and I went to visit several relatives, including my parents. News travels fast in my family so most of them knew I was pregnant. The thing that I found wierd was that they kept coming up to me, looking at me critically, and then informing me that I really didn't look pregnant! Now, nice as that is, it was as if they were expecting me to be huge and some were a bit disapproving that I wasn't yet, lol. I had to keep on telling people that, even though this is my second child, I was only 10 weeks and that I would be showing before long.
Why on earth do people keep doing this? I find it rather amusing and a little disturbing at the same time. Plus I'm getting tired of explaining to people that I'm not really supposed to be showing yet!! What do you think?

YzmaRocks

Asked by YzmaRocks at 1:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I lost weight during the first 16 weeks or so, but all the guys I work with (I'm the only female in the shop) all teased me about getting fat. Now I'm 37 weeks and I've gained a grand total of 32 lbs. Most people are shocked at how small I look for being so far along, but I have one friend who apparently can't stand my size. She gained over 60 lbs with her first and everytime she sees me, she tells me to "just wait, you're going to get huge any day now". Even this weekend while another friend was telling me how great I looked (which is really good for a pregger's self confidence), she had to say that it wasn't going to last and I was going to be gigantic by the end. I don't get it either... why do people think we have to be huge just because we're pregnant? It's hard, but ignoring the ignorance of others and basking in the glory of those who know the real beauty of pregnancy... that's what you have to do.
    McDrish

Answer by McDrish at 2:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Another wierd thing is that my mom kept patting my belly, something I don't mind when I have a baby belly but I really do mind when I don't have one!
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 1:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• People are ignorant and think that just bc you're pregnant that you're supposed to look like you ate a watermelon whole. I'm 9 weeks pregnant and friends and family that I dont see, but talk to to online or on the phone keep asking if Im showing yet...I dont like to sound rude with them but I just say something like "Well considering the baby is about the size of a raspberry right now, I think it'll be al ittle longer before I start showing. " But yes it's very irritating.
    Anonymous

• I don't understand people at all I remember when I was 10 weeks I actually lost about 3lbs from my normal weight which was 135 oh yeah and I'm 5'7. And when people would see me they would say things like yeah i knew you where starting to put on some weight there. And now I'm 30 weeks and when people see me there like omg your huge!!... I've gained like 20lbs and its ALL baby... WTF people just make me feel more shitty about myself. People are rude and just tell them off and then plan it on the hormones LOL
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2009