What can I do..this has been going on for 2 months..

When my 3 month old gets tired he starts to whimper a little so I get him ready for a nap or bedtime, then I rock him walk him sing whatever but he gets angrier and angrier, even after I nurse him he cries hysterically trying to get him to sleep can take anywhere from an hour to almost 4, I don't know where he can get the energy to stay up like that (I doubt its colic because he can be soothed, just doesn't want to go to sleep) anyone have any advice for me please??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same problem with my child. It just took me 7 months to finally say...Okay now this is soo not normal. When my son would go to sleep he would sleep for and 20 min. and be back up more active then ever. He was like that since he was born. If i had to tally up how much sleep he got in a day it was like three hours. The doctor said more active ppl during their pregnacy have babies with sleep disorders. He actually wrote me a prescription for benadryll. It worked. I was to give it to him at nap time an hour before and bed time an hour before, to let his body wind down and get ready for sleep. In about a wk, he was getting more easier to put down without a problem. So if anything I would make a doctor appt. and discuss this matter with him or her.
    Anonymous

• From the information you've given, it sounds like he is overtired and overstimulated. If rocking, singing, and walking is too much for him, try getting him to sleep about 30 minutes before he reaches the point of whimpering. At that age, my son was awake in two-hour stretches. I knew he was ready for a nap by the clock, even if he was smiling and happy. If I waited too long, he couldn't settle down either. At 2 1/2 years, he's the same way. He needs a nap four hours after he wakes up, but you would never know it from looking at him. Good luck.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 2:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I agree with DeTora_Famiy... don't let him get so tired he starts to wimper. Aim for at least 15 mintues before that. Have a set routine and stick to it. Pick something simple since you will be doing that routine for the next 4 to 5 years. The longer you try to sooth him, the more awake he gets. Mine is nearly 3 and is still the same way. If I let her get overtired, she will not nap and she will take several hours to fall asleep at night. She will also wake an hour earlly in the morning. If I keep an eye on her and get her into bed when she needs to - even if it's early - she falls right asleep, stays asleep, and will wake on time in the morning.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2009