• In the Spotlight:

Do your parents treat your children (their grandbabies) different than you were treated?

Mine do! LOL. They loved us, don't get me wrong. But they think their grandkids do no wrong!! They were very strict with us growing up, and now as grandparents are so happy and cheerful and allow our kids to "be kids". Why is this? Because they are older and have more patience? My kids love going to their house! I am thinking "wow...we couldn't wait to leave as kids!"

Just wondering lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes my parents treated my children better then they did me. But as a grandparent myself I think that is the good part about being a grandparent, you finally get the fun without having to raise them. That's normal. I just wish I wasn't raising 2 of my 7 grandchildren because I miss being able to just have fun with them then send them home.
    lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 4:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• well, yes as a matter of fact they do. they are a little older, a lot crazier, and generally think it's funny that we have to deal with whatever habits our kids pick up at grandma's house. isn't that the joy of grandparenting? getting your own kids back for their childhood indiscretions?!
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 2:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Yes of course. It's not their job to teach your kids how to behave. They are not the parents. It's your job . They get to enjoy the kids. And they realize that it doesnt last that long so they enjoy it all the more.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I am a MawMaw, so thought I'd give my thoughts on this. I do treat my grandkids different than I did my kids, but the main reason is becasue I don't have to be the parent. I don't have to do the discipline. My grandkids are so funny, they'll tell on their mom to me, they expect me to "set their mom straight". Once I asked them if they wanted me to spank their mom, they thought that would be great...they kept saying "Yeah, MawMaw, do it!" I do let them get by with alitle more than their parents do, but for the basic things I try to keep the parents rules. But all discipline is up to the parents....if at all possible. I will put them in time out if their parents aren't here and something really needs to be done.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• yep mine call ask how DD is first then ask how i am and still snap at me over small things but smile and love and get all giddy to my daughter i see my mom 2 times a month and always has things for her
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 2:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• oh goodness gracious... not yet but he is only 4 months old at the moment... I know they will treat him differently though... My stepdad has already told me thats how its going to be... Im jealous of the baby a little bit but then again my grandparents probably (definetly) did the same!
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 2:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• They do, but that's the way it should be. My grandparents treated me differently than they did my parents. Part of it is more patience, part of it is that they are not the parents and they don't have to deal with the kids all the time, so they can let things slide that we as parents can't. If Grandma or Grandpa lets them have a little cake before dinner, it's no biggie b/c we all know it won't happen all the time. But if Mom or Dad lets them have a little cake before dinner, that can set a precedent that the kid will think they'll get it all the time or get away with other stuff. My parents, I have to admit though, do help me with the discipline and such. I am a single parent, and they've kind of stepped in to help fill that "father" role. But they still do the grandparent thing, letting the kids get away with little things, giving them treats, keeping minor secrets. Unless they really overstep, I wouldn't worry about it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• my parents definitely treat my daughter alot better and its a good thing cuz if they treated her like how they use to treat me then id put a restraint order on them.
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Yes!! They get away with alot more.
    NeiaPlus3

Answer by NeiaPlus3 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2009