• In the Spotlight:

Why do some stay at home moms hire a cleaning lady?

I have a friend who is a SAHM who doesn't work outside the home at all...not even part time and yet she still hires someone to clean her house on a weekly basis. I understand how taking care of a child takes alot of time (I have two myself), but, my friend drops her child off at day care twice a week too. So two times a week, she has a chance to do all the cleaning (and anything else that needs to get done) herself and chooses not to. I don't understand how someone can make the decision to become a homemaker and not fulfill ALL the responsibilities that comes with that job title. Can someone please explain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• The job description isnt the same for every mom, if she has the money for it then that's great. I'd love to have a housecleaner.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I'd would say if they have the money then it's fine. She is providing to the work force.
    Anonymous

• maybe they can afford to do it? if so why not! i can afford a cleaner but id go nutty cause i'm OCD bout letting anyone clean it.. cause they would do it wrong but im a SAHM and i have daycare 2 days a week for "ME" days and don't think that's wrong.. cause i clean i cook and do mommy duty around the clock the rest of the time
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 2:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Well some mothers are different than others, I had a friend who was so stressed from doing EVERYTHING besides working during the week that she would put her kids in daycare once a week, have someone come and clean the place and she would go and relax. I don't see anything wrong with that, I would hate to have my DH come home once a week and have to watch the kids and clean the place while I get to relax so why not have a day to yourself? I mean if she was doing it every day then there is something wrong about that but a once or twice a week is not bad. Plus she might want to get the shopping done by herself as well, sometimes with kids you forget things and it's really hectic.
    Anonymous

• Idk, if I had the money to hire someone I would, but just once a month to have them do all the stuff I hate like the walls and baseboards, etc. I actually got a quote even and it's not that expensive and the scrub everything including the walls, etc. My kids are all school age and in school much of the day, but I have four and that time is me time. I do clean and keep things picked up usually, but a little extra cleaning by someone else would be nice once in a while.

Anonymous

• Maybe she just doesn't like cleaning? Honestly, I'm a SAHM of three and if I had the extra cash I would LOVE to have a cleaning person. Maybe not weekly, but monthly, to do all the really heavy duty stuff that I don't like to do. I can't afford it, but it would be sweet if I could! Yes, I'm the 'homemaker' and I do the cooking/cleaning but that doesn't mean I ENJOY doing it, kwim?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Well maybe look at it like this: she is a SAH-MOM not a MAID. I'm sure during the week she does most of the daily cleaning and straightening up that needs to be done and the "deep cleaning" is what the Maid takes care of. Her "job" is taking care of the child(ren) not to spend all her time cleaning. as for her dropping her daughter off at daycare, that's her time off, her "weekend" if you will. Do you like spending all of your weekend cleaning? I know I don't, I like to take some time for myself or I get caught up with other errands and things I don;t have time for the rest of the week. Not only that but the socialization is good for the child, so that's not a bad thing either. I say if they have the money for those things and it allows her more time with the child or even a little time for herself, more power too her!
    Anonymous

• Who are you to judge her? Do you know her medical history? I am currently SAHM. I have a housekeeper that comes in too. I have major allergies and asthma which makes dealing w/ cleansers physically difficult for me. I also have RA. Kneeling, squatting and bending are all but impossible for me many days. Regardless of all that...my husband insists I keep someone hired to help because he works so many hours and has little opportunity to help himself. Maybe her two days a week are for grocery shopping without kids, errands, personal days. The reasons don't matter because they are frankly none of your business.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I agree with the original poster. Why call yourself a homemaker if you don't really take care of the home yourself? Even if you do have the money, I call it lazy for someone to drop their kid off at daycare, hire a cleaning lady and do nothing with yourself for two full days a week. I UNDERSTAND THE NEED FOR SOME "ME TIME" AND IT SHOULD ABSOLUTELY BE A PRIORITY, but, if you need ongoing weekly minivacataions then there's a problem. Why feel the need to push your responsibilities aside and have someone else handle them? My idea of "Me Time" would be to have the DH watch the kid(s) for a couple of hours to go get a pedi or maybe go shopping or even take a nap. But, for two days a week, to hire someone to take care of your kids for most of the day and have someone take care of your house too, I think that's a bit spoiled and lazy.
    Anonymous

• People actually PUT their kids in daycare just for "ME" time? For 2 days a week? WOW!!! I would just never even think of doing something like that! i actually have fun with my son! I get my "ME" time at night when my son goes to bed and that's all I need. If I need to do errands, my husband will watch him. But 2 days......2 DAYS? Wow. Those kids must be crazy or something! LOL!
    Anonymous