Any advice to the step mom of a teenage girl?

I've been in her life since she was 4. Had full custody for over 3 years. She is 13 and the attitude and eye rolling is driving me crazy!!!

AJRum

Asked by AJRum at 2:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Step parenting is the hardest job in the world. I am a step mom and my son has a step mom. In our family the step parent does not give instruction or discipline. The bio parent gives the instruction the night before and if the child does not do what was asked the step parent lets it go until the bio parent returns and then reports. Then the bio parent handles it as they see fit. It works wonderful that way. The only time the step parent would step in is if the child was going to hurt someone or something. We are there for our spouses for support and that is about it. It works great for us. Good luck. If you want to chat more about how this works for us send me a note.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 2:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• When i was young my step mother & I HATED each other still do, when i lived there she wouldnt even say hello to me so i felt unwelcomed and didnt care to talk to so we NEVER had a relationship she talked trash on my passed mother . So i would say be social say hello ask how their day was and just try to have a relationship like you would as a mother to them. The rolling eye thing is a normal teen thing everyone goes through it! Goodluck hope i helped a bit:)
    SammiTaylorTM

Answer by SammiTaylorTM at 2:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• she's like every other 13 yr old then. She'll be fine by the time she is about 17. Just hang in there

Answer by admckenzie at 5:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• She sounds like a typical teen. I've been the legal guardian to my neice, who is now 13, for over seven years. Understand that its normal, but also talk to her (when things are calm) and say things like you love her, but when she talks to you in that tone and rolls the eyes, it is disrespectful. Then call her on it when she does it. Eventually it will start getting better. But for the most part this is not the worst battle you will face with her. So try not to let it get to you to much. Do what you can to let it roll off, i.e. take deep breaths, or whatever.

As long as you do what you can to appreciate her, she will appreciate you. Thank her when she does her chores, tell her good job in school or sports, and so on. Good luck!
    mommyaunt412

Answer by mommyaunt412 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• ok shes 13 and tell her that she has to stop with the attitude. but if she talks to u sumtime u shuld plan a day with her go shoppin plan a spa day do each others hair shes 113 and 13 year olds love to be pampered
    laparcerita1795

Answer by laparcerita1795 at 9:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Love Her And Smile be kind yet a mom and if that dont work put her on restriction
    momof2really3

Answer by momof2really3 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• shes just acting her age. its a phase she will grow out of. i have a stepmother and stepfather, my stepmother was in my life since i was 3 - she is a crazy bitch, but even if she wasnt - i came to a point in my life where i realized that my parents werent together and i wished they were, and i was sick of people who werent my parents telling me what to do. its not her fault, shes just a kid.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2009