Monthly doctors visits, how long do yours last?

I get about five minutes with my doctor each month, that's if i'm lucky. Does your doctor stick around longer? Mine listens to the heartbeat, measures my stomach and says see ya in four weeks.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That's how mine are, too. Heartbeat, fundus measurement, asks me how things are going and asks if I have any questions, answers my questions and then I'm on my way.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Well unless you have questions for the Dr, they just usually do thier thing and get out. I usually have at least a few questions a visit. My Dr doesnt mind, she takes her time with me and makes sure that I understand whatever it was that I had a question about. So it all just depends on what they need to do during that visit and how many questions you have. Make your Dr listen to you and take your time asking questions, regardless of how busy they are with other patience. (sp sorry)
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 2:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• mine measures me does the heartbeat steps back and asks me if i have any questions answers the ones i have and when im done he leaves he has alot of other girls to see so i cant expect him to stay there with me all day to explain everything about pregnancy to me..but he will answer my questions when asked
    Anonymous

• Thats how mine go! Short and sweet! lol There isn't much else the doctor needs to do when you visit. The way I take it...the less we have to tend to at that appointment the better because I know everything is going according to plan! :)
    mommyin08of09

Answer by mommyin08of09 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Yeah same here heartbeat, BP, answer to any concern I may have and it sucks having to wait in the doctors office long. But like someone else mentioned as long as everything is going well then I have peace of mind. Take care!
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 3:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Mine don't last more than 10 minutes when I actually see the dr. Someone else takes my weight and BP, then that's it. He listens to the heartbeat, measures my belly and asks if I have any questions. I have to make a list b/c I will forget all of them!
    mayissa44

Answer by mayissa44 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• GO TO A MIDWIFE! It's not okay for a doc to treat you like that. To me, that's a sign that my doc isn't interested in me as a person, and do I really want that kind of person to be "supporting" me in my labor? Because it seems to me, that if somebody doesn't have the time to develop any kind of personal relationship with me, then they aren't going to have the time to let me labor and relax and I'm going to end up "pitted", cut and maybe sectioned. Those aren't risks I'm willing to take. I go to a midwife, and I've never waited in her waiting room longer than ten minutes, or had an appointment that lasted less than 45, by the end of my pregnancy, she was my friend, and she stayed with me through my whole labor. Much better IMO.
    EmKirk

Answer by EmKirk at 3:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I actually do go to a midwife. The hospital I go to has midwives and you see a different one each time so that you've seen whoever is on call when you go into labor. You might see some of them more than once, but you do see them all before the end. So seeing a midwife isn't necessarily going to get you any longer of an office visit than seeing a doctor. I also don't wait long to see the midwife either. I'm usually in the building and out in less than 30 minutes.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Good to know that's how doctors visits are, I just feel so lost sometimes. I don't think I should have to ask for the results of my down syndromes test, that should be offered information. I just wanted to check and make sure it wasn't because I have state insurance. As for a midwife, i'm not sure if that would be covered, and the way I am treated for my insurance i'm not sure i'd even want one. Seems everyone I see wants to make sure i'm not on drugs or lying about being pregnant for better coverage.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• That's about normal. This week I had my gestational diabetes test, so I was there for a little over an hour. I also got a surprise pelvic exam to make sure my pelvis was wide enough to give birth vaginally. Those are always fun, lol. For people that are saying there is something wrong with your visits, that's not always true. There is only so much they can do, and if you have no problems that need closer monitoring, what are they supposed to be doing with the time? I go to a very good doctor, highly recommended, and he measures my belly, listens to the heartbeat, and answers any and all questions that I have. He's doing his job, and most likely, so is your doctor.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2009